I've often pondered the question of whether life actually exists, West of the Blue Mountains. It would appear not! Is the relevance of the fish deaths and lack of Government action/ concern of NO IMPORTANCE whatsoever, to anybody apart from myself? It would appear so. I wonder whether anybody would be stirred by a headline "SYDNEY HARBOUR FULL OF DEAD SNAPPER AND KINGFISH". I shall head down the river and ponder some more. Cheers, bn

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

I think the best thing to is be optimistic and positive. NSW Fisheries is a world class entity and I am sure they are giving the other appropriate government agencies the nudge. I guess things take time. Not sure of a solution but I bet there a few marine scientist, environmental scientist and other planners that are paid the big bucks ti figure out some mitigation. We all need to remember, this isnt something that has started over night, its been happening for quiet sometime. We just now live in an age where many people can jump on band wagons to push an agenda. In which, this particular situation has gone viral. In my opinion probably one of the only good worth while topic that has gone viral.

On 1/12/2019 at 4:14 AM, big Neil said:

I've often pondered the question of whether life actually exists, West of the Blue Mountains. It would appear not! Is the relevance of the fish deaths and lack of Government action/ concern of NO IMPORTANCE whatsoever, to anybody apart from myself? It would appear so. I wonder whether anybody would be stirred by a headline "SYDNEY HARBOUR FULL OF DEAD SNAPPER AND KINGFISH". I shall head down the river and ponder some more. Cheers, bn

I feel for you Neil... this would be hard to take and certainly, you could ask yourself whether anybody actually cares.

As you say there could be an uproar if there was a big fish kill in Sydney Harbour and actions would be swift and decisive. 

I am no expert on this but it seems to me that the rivers are a more immediate indicator of environmental health than the ocean. The ocean is obviously vast and for the most part, the estuaries are to varying degrees flushed by the movement of the tide. This provides a huge buffer zone and the effects of pollution are diluted and the results of the pollution are very much delayed.

In the rivers, it's a different thing. Every season the rivers are affected by the volume of water flow and, if they are not sufficient then temperatures rises and pollution factors can cause immediate and devasting fish kills.  Perhaps these are to some degree a natural event but not with the frequency and magnitude with which they happen today.

The rivers are an early warning system and it seems we pay little attention to them.

When I see this sort of thing happen I write to various "departments for water" ( they have different names in each state) and the federal environment minister. I would encourage anyone interested in the health of the environment to do the same.

As sad as the event is, thanks for bringing this to our attention Neil.

Cheers

Jim

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fragmeister said:

I feel for you Neil... this would be hard to take and certainly, you could ask yourself whether anybody actually cares.

As you say there could be an uproar if there was a big fish kill in Sydney Harbour and actions would be swift and decisive. 

I am no expert on this but it seems to me that the rivers are a more immediate indicator of environmental health than the ocean. The ocean is obviously vast and for the most part, the estuaries are to varying degrees flushed by the movement of the tide. This provides a huge buffer zone and the effects of pollution are diluted and the results of the pollution are very much delayed.

In the rivers, it's a different thing. Every season the rivers are affected by the volume of water flow and, if they are not sufficient then temperatures rises and pollution factors can cause immediate and devasting fish kills.  Perhaps these are to some degree a natural event but not with the frequency and magnitude with which they happen today.

The rivers are an early warning system and it seems we pay little attention to them.

When I see this sort of thing happen I write to various "departments for water" ( they have different names in each state) and the federal environment minister. I would encourage anyone interested in the health of the environment to do the same.

As sad as the event is, thanks for bringing this to our attention Neil.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim. Many thanks for your very constructive reply. I shudder when I see even one large breeding Murray Cod die. Let alone the massive numbers that have occurred recently, and will continue to occur over the next few months. My overall concern is that these fish are IRREPLACEABLE in the short term and that with continued NON -ACTION, the impact on recreational fishing is beyond credibility. I won't be around to see the repeat of Murray Cod history, but the next few generations will be. It would be a start if somebody took responsibility and promised to take positive action because all that we see is APATHY. 

Cheers, bn

13 hours ago, JA1990 said:

I think the best thing to is be optimistic and positive. NSW Fisheries is a world class entity and I am sure they are giving the other appropriate government agencies the nudge. I guess things take time. Not sure of a solution but I bet there a few marine scientist, environmental scientist and other planners that are paid the big bucks ti figure out some mitigation. We all need to remember, this isnt something that has started over night, its been happening for quiet sometime. We just now live in an age where many people can jump on band wagons to push an agenda. In which, this particular situation has gone viral. In my opinion probably one of the only good worth while topic that has gone viral.

Go and have a look at the link i posted on the politics forum, there are a bunch more GIPA requests going in soon that will reveal the entire green mess that is NSW DPI, Neil is right politicians only care about getting reelected- not the long term.

On 1/13/2019 at 10:14 PM, JA1990 said:

Hi JA. A nudge is what you give your mate when you finish your drink and they are half way through theirs. What these pollies need is a size 14 right up the backside...and election time is coming up. Cheers, bn

Mate I feel for you. It's a tragedy.

'Mismanagement' is not an excuse. Criminal negligence is closer to the point.

I was down Manly way today for a funeral, we crossed over Warringah golf course . There was a fish kill down there that resulted in Millions in fines and Gaol Time.

• Thanks 1

Hi Neil,

East Coast people do care about the rivers west of the mountains. The press and letters on the issue have been passionate and prominent and the political cartoonists have been having a field day. Have a look at First Dog in the Moon in today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/16/the-murray-darling-fish-kill-is-a-monumental-catastrophe-and-also-business-as-usual

Unfortunately the issue is tied up in all sorts of politics. I fear, our government at the moment is so firmly on the side of development including massive land clearing, fracking, mining and the continued use of coal all of which contribute to the environmental problems we face (including such iconic treasures as the Murray Darling, Great Barrier Reef etc.,) that little effective action will happen.

Very sad,

KB

11 hours ago, Koalaboi said:

Hi Neil,

East Coast people do care about the rivers west of the mountains. The press and letters on the issue have been passionate and prominent and the political cartoonists have been having a field day. Have a look at First Dog in the Moon in today's Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jan/16/the-murray-darling-fish-kill-is-a-monumental-catastrophe-and-also-business-as-usual

Unfortunately the issue is tied up in all sorts of politics. I fear, our government at the moment is so firmly on the side of development including massive land clearing, fracking, mining and the continued use of coal all of which contribute to the environmental problems we face (including such iconic treasures as the Murray Darling, Great Barrier Reef etc.,) that little effective action will happen.

Very sad,

KB

Thanks for the report KB, I very much needed the boost from reading something written to support the main thrust of the dissent with the Governmental lack of action. The cartoon in the Guardian just about sums up EVERYTHING. Cheers mate, bn

• Thanks 1

One word BN...... Disgusting!!!! 

Although the country is in severe drought, in this day and age, the mismanagement of our regional waterways is criminal. 

Someone has to put there hand up and fix this problem! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Thanks 1

PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE.

PREVENTION is the only option! Hopefully, the outcome of this (and it's not over yet) is CURE, (the damage done). But these fish are not replaceable in the short term and so preventing it in the future is our only option. EXCUSES DON'T WORK! bn