Port Stephens two days

Rocky

I had decided to head up to Port Stephens with the family (mainly to get the boat in the water with the boys). We had hoped to catch a marlin or two but the water temp did just not allow it. Was good to get that info from the locals so you don't just waste time hoping. We decided to target snapper as we had never really caught these of any size and the boys had not caught them at all. 

I got in touch with Scratchie who gave us some general locations at Broughton Island and some techniques to get my boys onto some decent snapper. 

We follows the instructions to a tea and gathered our live bait and then headed off to Broughton Island. We filleted our slimmies and out went the baits for our first drift. It wasn't long before we had a little fella on board. He went back in and still on our first drift a reel started to scream. Mitch jumped on it and started to fight the fish. He said it had some weight in it. It didnt take two long before we saw it at the side of the boat...it was a monster. There was a lot of screaming and holloring. Jake netted it and we had it on board. It was a giant in our eyes (measured 70 cm). 

While we were still celebrating the next line went off and then another and then another. All three of us were now fighting fish with the big fella still flapping around on the deck. Remember this was our first drift. We couldnt believe it and thought Scratchie was a magician. We did catch much else for the day but it didnt matter. We had a ball. 

Next day came and we wanted to try the fad so I asked Scratchie what he would do with the forecast and the water temp. He said stick to the snapper. So we made sure we were first at the ramp and first to the bait grounds which saw us first to Broughton a bit before six. We started our drift and got a good snapper but not much else. We changed spots and then picked up another 4 really good size snapper. Again, after that, not much else. We trawled some livies for a couple of hours before returning to the ramp when the wind picked up at midday. 

All in all it was a fantastic two days and highlights the importance of local knowledge. I can't thank Scratchie enough for the time he took to write some info for us, and his generosity with his GPS marks posted here for the Port Stephens area. I contacted him hoping to get my boys onto some snapper and we were able to succeed. 

For the record, we didnt really have any cooking facilities or time so all fish we caught went back for someone else to enjoy at some stage. They all returned full of life and kicking back off to their reef. 190834119_IMG_0267(1).thumb.jpg.b2f632b6c15be1ceb98e042774cf7be4.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

For the record, we didnt really have any cooking facilities or time so all fish we caught went back for someone else to enjoy at some stage. They all returned full of life and kicking back off to their reef. 

Some cracking snaps there guys, good to see some smiles onya dials :thumbup:

Good on you scratchie for giving up some time & passing on your knowledge 👍

Not sure why you didn't have the time but you don't always have to cook fish!

A nice plate of snapper sashimi would be awesome & take no time at all, a filleting knife, cutting board, some soy & wasabi is all you need.

Congrats to you and the boys rocky! There some cracking fish there! 

For me, that’s what fishraider is all about! The ability to share information for the common goal of fishing! 

You were very polite and generously offered me a ride (sorry I had to work) but I’m glad my information was useful. Hopefully now you can apply that technique on other areas you fish! 

Next time your up this way, drop me a pm and I’ll take you to the good spots! 😝

cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Woodsy1 said:

Well done Rocky, good onya Scratchie for giving people a good day when you share your knowledge, will you be back to your old self getting the big ones on Monday, ummm

Woodsy

Get that net ready champ! 💪

• Haha 1