Made the most of the weekend

GoingFishing

Saturday forecast looked pretty nasty with big winds and sizable seas.......was dying to get out so saught a second opinion from Zoran who confirmed what my heart already knew....it was a no go.

Woke up saturday and the conditions looked great weatherman had got it very wrong, checked seabreeze and the wind was less than forecast by 8-10 knots so after chatting with the wife we decided to take the kids for a cruise inside botany bay. It was also my wifes first time on the boat since i purchased it ! (Despite dozens of invitations). 

The plan was to pot around botany bay, soak a bait or two and then park the boat at la perous and grab some fish and chips. 

We started off by visiting the seals at the drums which was quite fascinating for my 4 and 2 yr old....then we stopped at the end of the runway and watched the planes take off and land (my son apparently can do this for literally hours, and still have the same equal excitement for every plane seen).

Then we drifted across the front of the novotel and soaked some baits and managed an undersize flatty and two whitings which went back. 

Headed over to la perous and could not find a spare patch of sand without swimmers.... so headed back to the ramp, boat on trailer and we drove to san souci and had fish and chips there.

Overall a lovely day with the wife and kids, great memories.!

Sunday the forecast looked manageable with a moderate southerly breeze our plan was simple, troll the cliffs for bonito, then tuck in behind manly for a bottom bash. 

First strike was on the rapala bonito style deep diver, up came a rat king about 60cm which was good fun. Two bonito soon followed off north head but it was VERY sloppy...so with two bonito onboard we headed over to manly and drifted for flathead. I didnt have high expectations but surprisingly the flathead were about and they were HUNGRY....every drop resulted in a fish and in two drifts (800m drift) we had both bagged out.  Brought the bonnies back home, fillet and salt and tuck away in the freezer for next trip and some stored for snapper season.

Also boated what i initially thought was a cobia, but turned out to be some kind of remora? Can anyone confirm this ID please?

Around 930 the wind really started to get really nasty so we packed up and went home. 

Thanks for reading.

Sam

Screenshot_20190113-131834.png

Screenshot_20190113-131740.png

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Great catch today and well done a getting the whole family out!

Thanks mate, wasnt the best weather either so overal quite happy

23 hours ago, finbar12 said:

solid catch well done, that fish is called a "remora", they often hang of large rays and fish 

Thanks mate so looks like my initial ID was correct

18 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Great stuff Sam. A day with the family and a day brining Home a feed! Perfect 👌 and yes I’m pretty sure that’s a remora! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers Scratchie. Hopin i can get the young ones addicted at a young age !

4 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

Nice one. It would be interesting to know what that remora came off.

Cheers mate, the area i was fishing itd have to be a shark or a ray?

4 hours ago, big Neil said:

I enjoyed reading your report Sam. Great to get a few feeds and some bait for next time. Cheers, bn

Thanks Big Neil, those bonito are always great fun and even better bait

• Like 2