sealant

deek

OK FR Gurus I have a question for those who have a Polycraft. I have a 4.1m side console. When I remove the bungs after a few hours on the water, there's seems to be 2 to 3 litres of water run out. Whilst this is not worrysome, it is annoying. I've been told that the two bottom outboard mounting bolts and the winch hook can cometimes leak as well. I've re sealed the bung areas, sounder mounts and ladder mounts.  As yet I haven't had the chance to re seal the engine mounts. Other than using Lexel, Sika or Soudal should I be looking at any other product?

Most of the time it just turns out to be a poorly sealing bung washer or o'ring. Check to see if there is any sand or grit in the back of the hole where the washer presses, also check to feel if the bung washer (o'ring) has gone old and hard, I tighten my bung with pliers to get a tight seal.

15 hours ago, mrsswordfisherman said:

If any screws have been screwed from the outside and have penetrated the inner hull they will all need to be Sikaflexed completely covered. 

Remove bungs and plates and Sikaflex underneath them and do same to screws.

Any exterior pickups for live bait tanks should also be checked.

(from swordie @deek

Now where would Swordie have got that from 🤔🤔🤔

Thanks for your help again Stewie!

• 3 months later...

Does the old sealant need to be removed completely. 

I understand that I will need to remove sealant completely from the outside of the fibreglass hull, but in the actual bung hole there is the original sealant. 

Do I need to remove all old sealant back to timber and start from scratch, or can I sand a little and cover with new sealant.

i intend using sikaflex 291