Port Stephens- Rack em up!!!

Scratchie

G’day raiders, 

Had the opportunity today to head out with two fellow raiders @Woodsy1 and @quintrex52

What plan do we take today??

We left little beach ramp at 430 and then headed to cabbage tree island to collect some bait. The bloody things were picky today, but once they started, they came thick and fast! 

Now we start to motor towards Broughton in sublime conditions at a rate of 30knots. All the time though going through my head, what plan do we take? Normally, I’m committed but I did bring two marlin rods just incase and with intel given to me last night it only made the decision harder! 

We arrived at the sisters to find 4 boats already there and one anchored on my mark, so the decision was made to head further up! 

We got there with only one boat there(far enough away) and a seal lazing on the surface.  There was no wind and no drift, hmmmm what to do!!! FAABAC95-22DE-43B4-96FC-E71A9C771B98.thumb.jpeg.0e77f8b5714a06f8f6d1184472363529.jpeg

After some mental anguish, we stick to a very very slow drift and began to cast. Jeremy was the first strike and landed a nice snaps. Woodsy was next and then Woodsy again! I was thinking, here we friggin go again until I finally added one to the bag and then another. After a few more drifts the fish went quite and with the conditions that presented themselves we pushed further north and began to slow troll for marlin! The water was 22.4 and plenty of bait about but no action from the 4 boats that were all trying the same thing! 

By this stage, the wind kicked up a little and we headed back to Broughton. This was soon to be a great move as there was now a good drift and some chop on the water! 

Anyway, we started finding a patch and nailing one after the other. We landed plenty but I managed a “string puller” at 60 and a few others as we all added to the bag! Plenty released as well. 

The wind was now caning through so we decided to hit @rickmarlin62 mark and again I came up tight with 3 in a row I think and another good one at 55. We were now drifting at over 2knots and it was time to pack up and go home! 

It was a great day out with the boys and we all went home with a feed! 

Thanks for reading and tight lines all. 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

P.s it was good to get one up on Woodsy! Haha E28B9E7A-3252-4A39-B9E3-AA01CE5DB5FA.thumb.jpeg.2002b790f2bf76d28c0f68e1b75e8e7f.jpeg

84BFD848-07E0-49E3-BA19-4A0D2E804400.thumb.jpeg.4f18b8a2e7a862bd762b90a5409958c7.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 1

Good on ya, Jeff! Got your mojo back!

I think the bulk of my tasks around the house are mostly done, finishing off with taking the wife’s car to Newcastle for its warranty service today... treated myself to a Thai massage (not that kind!) down the road while I was waiting and now I’m all refreshed, ready to get out there in the next couple of weeks as the hordes diminish... Can’t wait!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 2

Do we change this threads name to the Snapper Whisperer is back 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

P.s it was good to get one up on Woodsy! Haha 

I did think after Jeremy and I got a few we were both gunna get one over him😀

thanks for the day Scratchie and Jeremy

Woodsy

• Haha 2

Well done scratchie! Out of interest, what’s your favorite way of cooking the snaps?

Was there a heap of red algae in the water up there? Saturday it was everywhere and the water was horrible, yesterday a little better. Unfortunately wasn’t fishing, just taking my old man for a run.

There was talk on the marina yesterday of a few blacks tagged... will keep the ear close to the ground.

again well done and loved reading your report!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Blackfish said:

And that’s a bloody nice feed 

Cheers. Can’t wait for dinner tonight! 

13 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Good on ya, Jeff! Got your mojo back!

I think the bulk of my tasks around the house are mostly done, finishing off with taking the wife’s car to Newcastle for its warranty service today... treated myself to a Thai massage (not that kind!) down the road while I was waiting and now I’m all refreshed, ready to get out there in the next couple of weeks as the hordes diminish... Can’t wait!

Mojo is back baby!!! Keep that net ready Woodsy! 

Baz, no more excuses. Get out there and let’s see some snapper! 

12 hours ago, GordoRetired said:

That sounds like a great day out. Has me tempted to tow the boat up to Port Stephens and have a go myself 🙂

Thanks mate! Yep definitely worth the trip up! 

12 hours ago, tyrone07 said:

Cracker day  gents!!! Only a matter of time before the game fish turn on I reckon!!!

There coming! Talk to you soon mate! 

12 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

I think iv run out of words for your reports Scratchie...

Killing it ! 

Smashing it !!!

Great work !!!!!!

Thats it im coming to port soon. Will be in touch!

Haha, do it Sam! I was almost going to give up on you and come down to Sydney 😝

11 hours ago, Woodsy1 said:

Do we change this threads name to the Snapper Whisperer is back 

I did think after Jeremy and I got a few we were both gunna get one over him😀

thanks for the day Scratchie and Jeremy

Woodsy

Mate, we all contributed but it was nice to pull in a few good ones! Thanks again bro! 

11 hours ago, Ka-Ching said:

Well done scratchie! Out of interest, what’s your favorite way of cooking the snaps?

Was there a heap of red algae in the water up there? Saturday it was everywhere and the water was horrible, yesterday a little better. Unfortunately wasn’t fishing, just taking my old man for a run.

There was talk on the marina yesterday of a few blacks tagged... will keep the ear close to the ground.

again well done and loved reading your report!

Thanks mate! 

My favourite way to cook them is simple, pan fried with garlic, butter salt and pepper! The family likes them crumbed and shallow fried! 

The res algae was everywhere but didn’t affect us! 

There were two marlin ragged up the gibber, hence why we went there for a bit! 

Drop me a pm next time your up!!! 

12 hours ago, saltrix said:

Great sunrise photo anda good report

Thanks mate

11 hours ago, Yowie said:

That is a great feed Scratchie.

Worth some dollars if you were to buy them in a shop. Not that I look at fishing that way, it's the fun of catching the fish that counts.

Cheers yowie! 3 families ended up with a good feed and we had all the fun in the process 

10 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Nice work jeff   good to see you havnt lost your touch...ps  leave my bloody snapper alone !!!!!

Bahaha, I thought to myself rick hasn’t been here for a while. Let’s check it out! Glad we did 😝

3 hours ago, big Neil said:

Enjoyed reading your post, Jeff. Reminded me that you can't go past local knowledge and persistence, in pursuit of success. Hope you soon get onto some Marlin, only a matter of time. Cheers, bn

Thanks BN. Local knowledge can be priceless at times! So to can being a stubborn bugger! 

The marlin will be here soon but once again, it’s about persistence! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jmk086 said:

awesome stuff Scratchie well done

Thanks buddy! Your turn next! 

4 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done fellas,i was going to go up yesterday myself.

Cheers! Was pretty glassy all morning! The snaps fired up with the wind! 

19 hours ago, jenno64 said:

Awesome catch and a great read Scratchie!

want to do a deal on some fillet swaps;)

Haha, no worries! I’ll take some good flatty or Jew fillets anytime! 

I do chase them sometimes, but I find it hard to resist going offshore! 

Your on fire too champ! Love your posts! 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, quintrex52 said:

No mention off my potential raider record for puffer fish on SP lmao 

great day out as always.. thank you @Scratchie and @Woodsy

Haha, forgot about that one! I thought you’d hooked the fad it was that big! 😝

Great day out mate!