What would you buy for 45k?

anthman

Hi FR,

Some of you have seen my stabicraft 1550 fisher post and I thought I would change tact and poll the greater FR community with this question:

What boat, new, would you buy for 45k or thereabouts? Outboard, hull and trailer.

Conscious that there is probably a good deal in the second hand market, so would hopefully end up paying less than 45k.

To help narrow this question, things I'm looking for are:

* Be able to go offshore on an average day - not sure I'll be travelling more than 10km, would like to be able to make it back confidently if the weather turns bad.

* Would like to keep it to 5m max

* Dry and comfortable ride - maybe cuddy cabin type

* Mainly two people fishing, might occasionally take a third and upto a fourth (we're all small built so hopefully not too squashy!)

* Trolling motor mount

* Maybe hard top

* Live bait tank

* Enclosed/sealed Battery storage

* Easy to handle trailer

Thanks guys - my current contender is the stabicraft 1550 fisher due to safety and wide gunnels. 

Guest Guest123456789

$45k I’d get two boats, a little open boat tinny with a leccy and an older, larger fibreglass offshore boat without an electric. A leccy for an offshore boat will cost a bomb and weigh a tonne.

45K will get you a lot of boat- Ok - question yourself very deeply- 1. what are you going to be using it for- if its 90+% for fishing- especially lurecasting/sportsfishing then dont get a boat where half the space is taken up with cabins/seats and especially dont let better halves (who only will come out once per year) dictate the layout of the boat- if they are a regular fishing companion then its a different story. all that crap will just get in your way   2. 5m will limit you a bit, 45K will get you a second hand 6M boat in good nick fully kitted out if you look hard enough, of course you do need to take towing vehicle and storage into consideration, if the trailer is well set up you could easily run with a 5.5-6 m CC or tinnie. 3. I own a 5.4 M TABS CC- i only fish 3 up in it offshore, in the river 4 is OK , it goes to the shelf all the time but i am very good at reading the weather (funny how a 2 hour drive at 10 knots getting bashed all the way does that too you!!!). 4. Dont skimp on the electronics- a good guide is approx 10% of the value of the boat on sounders and gps- run two screens , not one- amazing how muck better it is to have GPS on one and sounder on the other.5. think about redundancy (for safety) 2 radios, 2 bilge pumps, just blew a radio the other day, I run 2.  Have fun , lots to look at, TABS, Formosa 2nd hand Barcrushers, even the Quins and Stacers will be fine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaddyT said:

45K will get you a lot of boat- Ok - question yourself very deeply- 1. what are you going to be using it for- if its 90+% for fishing- especially lurecasting/sportsfishing then dont get a boat where half the space is taken up with cabins/seats and especially dont let better halves (who only will come out once per year) dictate the layout of the boat- if they are a regular fishing companion then its a different story. all that crap will just get in your way   2. 5m will limit you a bit, 45K will get you a second hand 6M boat in good nick fully kitted out if you look hard enough, of course you do need to take towing vehicle and storage into consideration, if the trailer is well set up you could easily run with a 5.5-6 m CC or tinnie. 3. I own a 5.4 M TABS CC- i only fish 3 up in it offshore, in the river 4 is OK , it goes to the shelf all the time but i am very good at reading the weather (funny how a 2 hour drive at 10 knots getting bashed all the way does that too you!!!). 4. Dont skimp on the electronics- a good guide is approx 10% of the value of the boat on sounders and gps- run two screens , not one- amazing how muck better it is to have GPS on one and sounder on the other.5. think about redundancy (for safety) 2 radios, 2 bilge pumps, just blew a radio the other day, I run 2.  Have fun , lots to look at, TABS, Formosa 2nd hand Barcrushers, even the Quins and Stacers will be fine.

Thanks for the info, 5m is the goal because of where we want to store it. Sounds like I can't go much pass the 2nm range into 'offshore' in this range unless the weather is really good.

Consistently, will be just two fishing.

You've mentioned alot of brands - but have not mentioned stabicraft. Any reason for that?

Will see if we can make 5.4m work...

Guest Guest123456789
5 hours ago, anthman said:

Thanks for the info, 5m is the goal because of where we want to store it. Sounds like I can't go much pass the 2nm range into 'offshore' in this range unless the weather is really good.

Consistently, will be just two fishing.

You've mentioned alot of brands - but have not mentioned stabicraft. Any reason for that?

Will see if we can make 5.4m work...

Where are you storing it? Is it a garage? Sounds like space is an issue.

If you want to go offshore and have a small amount of space I’d be looking at a heavy hull (fibreglass, 5mm plate or a polycraft) as opposed to a thinner and lighter aluminium hull.

The other option might be to store your boat in a dry dock in Sydney harbour then you can get a larger boat (and don’t need a trailer).

Centre console tube style boat would be my choice. Doing those trips 80km offshore to reach outer reefs in QlD or the seamounts down my way I'm happy to lose a little space for the safety gained. Truthfully though when people talk about space I often wonder what they are planning. I think I've got around 20 rod holders, carry scuba tanks, camera gear, and fishing gear on most trips. I'm also legally able to carrry 12 passengers on my 5.2m rib.

Offshore camping away trips my boat is filled with 5 x20lt fuel drums to add to the 100lt under floor, 4x 20lt water drums, tents, sleeping bags etc. Then there's the usual camping lights, esky's, food as well as fishing gear and dive gear, cameras, chargers etc for 4 people.

Boats with cabins or cuddy's lose usable fishing and casting space in my opinion, yes they provide some protection but so does my spray jacket.

3 hours ago, flatheadluke said:

Where are you storing it? Is it a garage? Sounds like space is an issue.

If you want to go offshore and have a small amount of space I’d be looking at a heavy hull (fibreglass, 5mm plate or a polycraft) as opposed to a thinner and lighter aluminium hull.

The other option might be to store your boat in a dry dock in Sydney harbour then you can get a larger boat (and don’t need a trailer).

Would be stored Infront of my parents house behind a fence. The boat has to clear a corner hence the length limit. With trailer, am limited to a total of about 6.5m max from coupling to a the prop of a trimmed outboard.

I was recently in this situation.  I went with the Stacer Sea Ranger 499.   If you are near me you are more than welcome to look at my boat.  It is made in their plate boat factory or area and has 4mm sides and bottoms.   The floor is welded 3mm checker plate.  I have not had her offshore yet nor in any real seas.  The worst was in Pittwater this last Sunday with a bit of chop and it handled just fine.  My last boat was a Haines Hunter 520sf and I would say I'm very pleased with the new boat.

Bear

Edited by Sea Ranger

A 5m boat will comfortably go way past 2nm in crappy conditions, I run my 4.88m CC Quintrex fishraider out to 6-8nm in some pretty average weather and we go a lot further in my mates plate CC, it's all about learning how you boat deals with certain conditions and what it's capabilities are.

As for boat selection huge amounts of boats available in that range, personally I would love a CC fibreglass like a bonito 500 depends if you want new or second hand, good luck finding something.

Edited by rozza_b
  • Like 1

Have you checked out the Clark 5m center console??A mechanic near me sells them. Look pretty good  and well set out also with a Honda 135 on the bum. Come in 41k from memory.. would be able to add some fruit to bring it to the 45k mark . Saying that..I have not been in one yet.

22 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

I was recently in this situation.  I went with the Stacer Sea Ranger 499.   If you are near me you are more than welcome to look at my boat.  It is made in their plate boat factory or area and has 4mm sides and bottoms.   The floor is welded 3mm checker plate.  I have not had her offshore yet nor in any real seas.  The worst was in Pittwater this last Sunday with a bit of chop and it handled just fine.  My last boat was a Haines Hunter 520sf and I would say I'm very pleased with the new boat.

Bear

Thank you so much for the info (and in my other post too!). Are you based in Sydney? I think for me the spray and sun protection of a cuddy cabin / windshield design is important. 

14 hours ago, Rebel said:

Hi,

I have been out on my mate's Barcrusher, unreal. Didn't know boats like this existed. When I win Lotto, this will be my next boat.

Cheers.

Have seen some but don't see any with windshield or cuddy cabin under 5m , they look awesome and tough!

9 hours ago, Stanton44 said:

Have you checked out the Clark 5m center console??A mechanic near me sells them. Look pretty good  and well set out also with a Honda 135 on the bum. Come in 41k from memory.. would be able to add some fruit to bring it to the 45k mark . Saying that..I have not been in one yet.

Nope not yet, will add to the list!

Take your tape measure, I ran it over my boat yesterday and from tip of trailer to the back of the prop i got 6.6 m with the motor in its "preffered storage " position- tilted up a bit, hope that helps. As for the Clark-s 3mm bottom sheet - for 41K? nope, you want 4mm for those dollars

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

, you want 4mm for those dollars

agreed

I looked at the Surtees and Barcrusher models under 5m with cuddy cabins.   The cabin was nice but boy did it take away from usable floor space.  If you bait fish out the back 2 people tops in my mind would work.  Casting would be difficult unless you just flick.  

Bear

Edited by Sea Ranger

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Take your tape measure, I ran it over my boat yesterday and from tip of trailer to the back of the prop i got 6.6 m with the motor in its "preffered storage " position- tilted up a bit, hope that helps. As for the Clark-s 3mm bottom sheet - for 41K? nope, you want 4mm for those dollars

That's very interesting, I will take the tape measure with me. So just to confirm, that total length of 6.6m is for your 5.4m Tab CC ? Just wanted to check incase you have more than one boat :P

My limit is about 6.3m total length, maybe a bit more...

18 hours ago, Rebel said:

Hi,

I have been out on my mate's Barcrusher, unreal. Didn't know boats like this existed. When I win Lotto, this will be my next boat.

Cheers.

Well, if you’re going to bring Lotto into it... 😂 when I win Powerball tonight (I’m trying to exude confidence😂), I might look at a 21 foot centre cabin. My boatport slab is 8.7m long. I could hang the motor(s) out the back and move the gate forward to get more length but the roof area is 21ft and I know the previous home owner had a 21ft Trojan centre cab before he downsized to a 17ft Trojan centre console. I don’t want to be pretentious so I’d probably stick to a 21 footer... but then, if I won Powerball, I’d probably just berth it at the marina down the road, park the trailer in storage and use the boatport for another car space. 😂😂😂

• Haha 1

U

39 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Well, if you’re going to bring Lotto into it... 😂 when I win Powerball tonight (I’m trying to exude confidence😂), I might look at a 21 foot centre cabin. My boatport slab is 8.7m long. I could hang the motor(s) out the back and move the gate forward to get more length but the roof area is 21ft and I know the previous home owner had a 21ft Trojan centre cab before he downsized to a 17ft Trojan centre console. I don’t want to be pretentious so I’d probably stick to a 21 footer... but then, if I won Powerball, I’d probably just berth it at the marina down the road, park the trailer in storage and use the boatport for another car space. 😂😂😂

If i won lotto theres probably dozens of boats id pick before a barcrusher.

Boston whaler and grady white are my dream boats 😍😍😍

• Like 2

2 hours ago, anthman said:

That's very interesting, I will take the tape measure with me. So just to confirm, that total length of 6.6m is for your 5.4m Tab CC ? Just wanted to check incase you have more than one boat :P

My limit is about 6.3m total length, maybe a bit more...

Ahh no- i think if i added another boat to the driveway my wife would string me up!!! But yeah 6.6 M - your earlier post got me interested in seeing how long my boat actually is on the trailer, but my other point for the money you are talking about 4mm hull is what you should be getting, its a buyers market , look hard!

Good luck making your final decision.  Some good ideas and choices already made. 

You will find there is plenty out there for the money you can spend. 

A couple of years ago I bought a used Seafarer V-Sea (5m) with 115 two stroke in absolute perfect condition for half what you are spending. 

You will pick up a very good used V-Sea with four stroke and have change. 

More than happy with Seafarer - second one I’ve owned.  A very good sea boat in my opinion.

New is still an option, example below

https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats/results.html?action=adv_search&hull_material=Fibreglass&new=New+and+Used+Boats&cate=Power+Monohulls&Lengthfrom=4.88&Lengthto=5.49&feetfrom=16&feetto=18&poa=yes&price_from=40000&price_to=1000000000&listed=Anytime&order_by=added_desc&state[]=QLD&state[]=VIC&state[]=TAS&state[]=SA&state[]=NT&state[]=WA&pge=2

78C96B0D-8DEF-4094-99D4-9643A2856C72.png

Edited by shakey55