Morning on Lake Macquarie

lazydaniel

Spent the morning having a fish. Headed out on the boat around 7. Session was cut short by the heat. Even at 10 this morning it was stinking hot ! Was fishing for jewfish . Didn’t get any hits , was using fresh dead squids and butterflied yakkas. Tried around both sides of Pulbah island drifting. Unfortunately no luck. I have never had any luck in the lake finding them??? I usually fish the Hawkesbury and often have success there catching them. So I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong , feel free to give me any tips or advice 

Just keep persisting mate! Good things come to those who wait! They don’t call them the “ghost” for nothing! 

Tip: fish tide changes, low light periods, anchor up and find drop offs, use fresh or live bait. Don’t go too heavy on leader (20-30lb leader) patience! 

Then, when you do finally get one on your targeted area, take note of the tips above! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

What colour vibes are they finding work best @rickmarlin62? And are the branded ones a whole lot better than the ebay specials, I've got some of both in the 70mm sizes but not used them much.

Jewies have eluded me in the Lake, I've sat on the barges around the place for hours with livies and no luck might try some vibes if I can find a couple of good places to try it out? http://www.fishingworld.com.au/how-to/how-to-catch-jewies-on-vibes 

Thanks for the tips guys, I always try and fish the tide change. I might try using a lighter leader. I have Ben using 40-50lb with my big live and dead baits , I wil drop it down to 20 and see if that helps getting some strikes. Getting live bait where I have been trying seems to be more difficult than I thought, seem to be just pulling in heaps of tiny bream. Thanks guys!

@rickmarlin62 how far into the lake does the tide change effect the fishing? Belmont bay, Swansea of course and up towards Murray’s Beach I suspect? What about across to the West, coal point, wangi point way or further south/north?

Also, I was told the channel entrance to lake at Marks Point is 3 hours behind the heads for tide, is this about right?

Cheers for the confirmation, with ~6 hours between low and high and 3 hours delay in the channel, more within the lake itself, there should always be somewhere to fish the tide change!

That said, not sure how how noticeable it would be say Warner's Bay North or Mannering Park South. I understand the lake level is more affected by pressure systems than tide for the outer regions. Might have to do some important research/time on the water investigating this ;)