KIwi Kingies

mgj

I am enjoying the Kingies on fly at the moment here like everyone else.We have a great fishery here.

Before Xmas I went to NZ and got some monsters on the jig up to 35 kg and some smaller ones on fly.They were at 100 m deep-very tricky!

Mark

2CB6EC53-2EA8-4FC2-9695-062DBB0E0916.jpeg

Edited by mgj
  • Like 5

It's funny, I was always been under the belief big kings were solely a NZ thing. Maybe not in the same fat condition but we've been getting them over the 1m over the last few weeks locally, while our best went 130cm on the NSW south coast last year.

One of my daughter's girlfriends caught a 138cm just north of us a couple of weeks ago. Having just returned from a trip in the Coffs area my daughter saw free swimming kings she dared not attempt to catch. 

The kings of south Aus are also giants over the 100lb.

Yes NZ has consistently produced big fish but don't write off the chances of getting them in our own backyard, we certainly have them.

Jon I’m against keeping the big breeders.If I was the boss I’d say you can keep 2 Kings between 65 & 95 cm and the rest go back-what a fishery we would have then! I’m sure that most of those frozen Kings are thrown out in any case 

mark

• Like 1

12 hours ago, mgj said:

Jon I’m against keeping the big breeders.If I was the boss I’d say you can keep 2 Kings between 65 & 95 cm and the rest go back-what a fishery we would have then! I’m sure that most of those frozen Kings are thrown out in any case 

mark

I believe they keep those big ones and eat them off Norfolk Island, which are said to be good to eat. I also believe most of the kings there are big, so keeping small ones to eat less of an issue. Big kings are certainly on the increase along the east coast which is very exciting.

Yes agree with not keeping those big ones, there are also far less among us that could actually hang onto them at that size, they really are a special fish. Marlin, broadbill, tuna etc can all be fought over longer time with far less pressure on the fisherman in comparison, kings are most rightly named kings.

By the way I have no issues with anyone who does keep big kings, we see plenty of them, we see far less tuna and put in far more time trying for them, often going several years between hooking one.

Edited by JonD

Jon

The Tuna & King issue are related.We almost had our Kingie stocks wiped out by those unspeakable traps 20 years ago.It took Kingie stocks 15 years to come back.Same with the Tuna.They have been massacred in the Indonesian breeding grounds as well as at our 200 mile exclusion zone for years by international long liners.This is linked inexorably to our decline in tuna stocks.

Mark

Jon 

I’ve

fished for those Norfolk Kingies.If you can get the odd one past the sharks well & good.The difference there is that there is only one commercial fisherman there who takes only what’s needed for the restaurants there-he does no damage at all.

mark

• Like 1

Jon 

The Tuna & King issue are related.We almost had our Kingie stocks wiped out by those unspeakable traps 20 years agoIt took Kingie stocks 15 years to come back.Same with the Tuna.They have been massacred in the Indonesian breeding grounds as well as at our 200 mile exclusion zone for years by international long liners.This is linked inexorably to our decline in tuna stocks.

2D3A8D7A-ACE6-41C6-997A-ABE568A48B30.jpeg

• Like 3