Rod or Reel?

slurm

Hey guys,

Been fishing with plastics for a little over 6 months now and absolutely loving it. I currently have a 2500 Sedona paired up with 8lb Fireline on a 1-4kg Raider Travel (max 10g lure weight). I have been targeting bread and butter species having had most success using 5.5g powerblades and 3inch SPs. I understand my line is on the heavier side but I have had issues with bust offs under the 6lb mark.

I am pretty keen to start throwing some heavier lures for different species (namely jews / rat kings / snapper), so I am curious as to what I need. It will be used namely land based, but I often have access to a boat or a kayak. Should I consider a heavier rod to pair with my current reel? Or do I need to purchase a complete new outfit for this purpose? I have been reading for the past few days and a lot of people are suggesting the Stradic for this purpose but I would like to know if I can make it work with what I've got.

Cheers

As scratchie said you may be pushing your luck but depending on your experience and hooking fish away from serious snags, the light outfit will give you far more fun.

I had 8 or 9 JM outfits which I used to use on kings, which I've mostly sold now simply because I'm having far more fun on the light gear targetting them. The 2-4kg Daiwa black and ci4 3000 stradic has knocked over around 40 kings since Xmas. Two kings have nailed me to the bottom while the others to my surprise have been successfully released ( most in the 60-65cm). I don't believe the couple I lost would of been landed on heavier gear simply because we've seen how big they are diving this spot and the fact it's so shallow. It's because it's so shallow that we are fishing such light tactics, flicking plastics over the 3m deep bomies then fighting them over the drop offs. 

We are getting a few keepers among the rats.

Rat 

1921879024_GOPR01931.JPG.3c0cd2af56189b27bcbe4464c4ce1b34.JPG

Keeper

1921489543_GOPR01961.JPG.12baec48a638f43e276b48eed117d02d.JPG

• Like 1

On 1/18/2019 at 10:35 AM, Scratchie said:

If your looking to target decent snapper, king and Jew, then that whole set up will not stand up! 

You need a minimum of 4-7kg rod 4000 reel and 20 lb braid with 20-30lb leader! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Cheers for the info mate. I'll look into it

On 1/18/2019 at 1:25 PM, JonD said:

As scratchie said you may be pushing your luck but depending on your experience and hooking fish away from serious snags, the light outfit will give you far more fun.

I had 8 or 9 JM outfits which I used to use on kings, which I've mostly sold now simply because I'm having far more fun on the light gear targetting them. The 2-4kg Daiwa black and ci4 3000 stradic has knocked over around 40 kings since Xmas. Two kings have nailed me to the bottom while the others to my surprise have been successfully released ( most in the 60-65cm). I don't believe the couple I lost would of been landed on heavier gear simply because we've seen how big they are diving this spot and the fact it's so shallow. It's because it's so shallow that we are fishing such light tactics, flicking plastics over the 3m deep bomies then fighting them over the drop offs. 

We are getting a few keepers among the rats.

Rat 

1921879024_GOPR01931.JPG.3c0cd2af56189b27bcbe4464c4ce1b34.JPG

Keeper

1921489543_GOPR01961.JPG.12baec48a638f43e276b48eed117d02d.JPG

Ripper photos mate. I can imagine the fight on light gear would be a rush, may I ask how heavy you go for main and leader line? Definitely going to do some more research on the stradic, it seems like a quality investment

Edited by slurm

Jon D , I use a 2 to 4 Samaki and a 2 to 6 daiwa gen blk in the river for Jew. Best is high 80's. Way too much fun to go heavier out of a boat. 5 lb braid and 12 lb leader.   BUT not a snag in sight !!!! Open Water !!!  Howard.

46 minutes ago, slurm said:

Ripper photos mate. I can imagine the fight on light gear would be a rush, may I ask how heavy you go for main and leader line? Definitely going to do some more research on the stradic, it seems like a quality investment

I'm using 20lb mono leaders with braids around 10lb, for snapper I've been dropping down to 15lb mono leaders.

On 1/18/2019 at 8:46 AM, slurm said:

Hey guys,

Been fishing with plastics for a little over 6 months now and absolutely loving it. I currently have a 2500 Sedona paired up with 8lb Fireline on a 1-4kg Raider Travel (max 10g lure weight). I have been targeting bread and butter species having had most success using 5.5g powerblades and 3inch SPs. I understand my line is on the heavier side but I have had issues with bust offs under the 6lb mark.

I am pretty keen to start throwing some heavier lures for different species (namely jews / rat kings / snapper), so I am curious as to what I need. It will be used namely land based, but I often have access to a boat or a kayak. Should I consider a heavier rod to pair with my current reel? Or do I need to purchase a complete new outfit for this purpose? I have been reading for the past few days and a lot of people are suggesting the Stradic for this purpose but I would like to know if I can make it work with what I've got.

Cheers

Hi Slurm,

Last year, my family got me a Sedona 2500 and a Shimano Sahara 2-4Kg rod loaded with 8lb braid and 10lb leader for Xmas. I have used it to catch squid, flathead, bream and Kings on SP.

I mainly fish off a boat only and have landed at least 20 Kings since then. Although, all Kings were between 58-64cm (rats), I am yet to get busted off. If you set your drag correctly and work the fish, you can land them (although your forearm will get a good workout...lol). Biggest problem is people tend to tighten the drag as soon as they start losing a little line and this usually works in the Kings favour as he will bust you off. Not long ago a mate of mine had never hooked up to a King and I was on my 5th. So, I gave him my rod and told him to go for it. He started to lose line and the first thing he attempted to do was to tighten the drag. I stopped him before he got a chance and he was like "are you serious...I will never get him out". I laughed and said...."yes you will...just keep at it". The king took a few more runs but slowly he eventually got him out.....63cm model. He was so puffed that he looked like he ran a marathon...😂

I prefer to fish light as its more fun where others think its hard work. I'm waiting for the day I hook up to a legal model and see how I go then. I don't find fishing heavy for a medium sized fish very satisfying. This year, the family got me a Shimano Stradic Ci4+ 4000 reel with a 7' Daiwa Aird X, 3-5Kg rod loaded with 20lb J-Braid8 and 20lb fluorocarbon leader for the Jewies , Snapper and legal Kings. The stradic is a beautiful reel as is the rod tbh. Only used it once and hooked up to a nice size squid on my first cast 😜. Had to use this rod for squidding cause the girls all confiscated my light gear to fish on our last family outing. 

Anyway, I thought I would share this bit of info if it helps you understand 

Cheers   Dave

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, JonD said:

I'm using 20lb mono leaders with braids around 10lb, for snapper I've been dropping down to 15lb mono leaders.

Mustn’t be getting the snapper we have up here!!! I’ve been smoked on 20/20 multiple times! I’ve even created new swear words!!! Lol 😝 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Mustn’t be getting the snapper we have up here!!! I’ve been smoked on 20/20 multiple times! I’ve even created new swear words!!! Lol 😝 

Yes that's right, none here but we do get up the coast, this one was on that same light line class. We did get dusted on a couple but this one at 95cm was quite stoppable.

IMG_1393.JPG.debf0975e4e4a4c319ae7341c4ab1bcc.JPG

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone for the advice, I really appreciate it.

I went to my local tackle shop over the weekend and picked up a ripper deal on a Storm Gomoku 9ft 8-12kg 30-80g lure weight, and am super happy with it. I was itching for a fish so took it to a calm beach and tossed some ancient metals around, amazing fun.

Was just curious what heavier reels people have been using lately? Have heard good things about the Biomaster and Stradic in 5000+ but would love to hear peoples experience. Will be paired up with 20lb braid and a 25-30lb fluro leader if it matters.

On a final note, I understand lures will likely be a massive hole in my wallet as I learn to tame the larger size so was hoping someone could give me a 'shopping list' of some to try to get a feel for larger plastics. I am fairly seasoned in the <10g class, but am clueless when I lay my eyes on anything 30g+. Target species will remain jew/snapper/kings/salmon off the beach/stones!

Cheers!