Mud crab sizes

JimC

Just looking an NSW fisheries crab sizes. 8.5cm for a mud crab? How much meat would you get from a crab that size?  Surely way too small for any use. I caught one yesterday that was 17cm. I thought that was barely big enough .

That is not the legal way in nsw.....read the dpi nsw fisheries rules and regs....its up to individuals to comply   there is no excuse for not knowing the rules  you obviously know how to use a smart phone   i suggest doing some reading of rules before making silly observations on sizing...rick

• Like 1

Rick, I do not know you, yet you make a number of assumptions about me.  What draws you to the conclusion that I know how to use a smart 'phone?   Why do you assume that I have a mobile telephone?  If you would have taken the time to read my profile or a number of my recent  posts, you would know my position in relation to telephones.  As to the comment of " making silly observations on sizing"  I find that a little bit over the top and not conforming to the site rules.

I am sure this site is family friendly and I must state I find your comments not conducive to  that aspect.  Please, if I have made a mistake, just PM me and not go into the public arena.  Even with my, "silly observations " please rest  assured that I did not take any undersize Muddies.  

I find your post condescending and of no value or betterment of this site.

No need to get upset bessell1955, but when you push the point several times about crab measurements being too small when you are doing it wrong, then you are going to get harsh replys.  The correct way to measure crabs is available online and also in all tackle stores. 

Cheers Loomesy 

I say it as i see it  how many of us need to put the correct way to measure crabs on this topic and you still say you measure them the wrong way..ignorance is no excuse for the law   dpi rules n regs are everywhere for people to see them  if you choose to ignore them or do it your own way i hope you get chatted by fisheries.. now you have me wondering if your traps or nets comply to the rules as you obviously have not read any other rules or regs  i hope my chastising u makes other people read the right way to do things as i have no time for people that flaunt the laws that the rest of us abide to  if you feel i have persecuted you its because u havnt read the rules and after being given the regs you still choose to have a go at me when u are clearly in the wrong....if i have upset anybody else i apologise  but i wont take a backward step on people doing the wrong thing or ignoring the rules.....your move

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 3:14 PM, JimC said:

Just looked again. It seems Qld measure side to side and NSW front to back

Hey Jim, there is quite often difference between the state on many laws not only fishing but we just need to worry about what the rules are here unless you obviously intend to travel to Qld or any other state.

To answer some of you concerns, the NSW DPI set the size & bag limits, if you think a legal fish or crustacean is to small for your needs then just return it to the water.

On how much you will get out of it well I caught a just a single blue swimmer just before xmas 2017 & it made an entrée for 2 people after cooking & cracking all the claws & pulling the body meat out! 

If you don't have a phone to store the NSW DPI electronic version of the latest Saltwater fishing guide then can I suggest you pop into a DPI office(or email them for a copy) or most local tackle stores usually have them or while on PC download it & get it printed off.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/600222/saltwater-recreational-fishing-guide-2018-19.pdf

I always have a copy with me as you cant remember every fish legal size & bag limit & it also has a lot of great info in it like knots & rig tying & heaps more.

Now that I think this topic has covered it might be time for the mods/admins to close it off before people over react.

Happy fishing all :thumbup:

Time to intervene here.

Members are expected to help each other with questions and answers.

In this case there has been a link put up to check how to measure https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/recreational/fishing-rules-and-regs/measure

Members may get the booklet from DPI https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0012/600222/saltwater-recreational-fishing-guide-2018-19.pdf

There is a crab measuring tool (pic above) - grab those at the tackle shop as well

Please re-read our site rules

I am closing this thread now. Game, set and match.

mrsswordie

• Like 2