Jervis Bay landbased

Toilor

I've been out last 2 mornings 5.30am til 7.30 spinning 40 grm knights fishing southern headlands of Jervis bay. 8 hits 3 bust offs 2 hook pulls 1 x 55cm landed rest dropped including approx 70cm at my feet. Bycatch of 2 bonnies and a salmon. Not having much luck bringing home a legal king but having fun trying. Doing ok hooking them but definitely need to work on landing them. 40 lb gliss 30lb leader next trip will try 60lb leader. 

You're doing pretty good I reckon. I used to throw exactly the same lure in the same area and my wipeout rate was pretty high even on 60lb leaders. There's some big buggers hanging around there in close to the rocks, especially first thing in the morning.

If you're still using trebles, try swapping over to singles, Mustad big guns go well. Your hook up rate may drop slightly, if at all, but the amount of pulled hooks will drop to almost zero. You may need to upgrade your split rings too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Toilor3000 said:

Thanks for the hot tip mate, now have singles ready to go but alas the kings have disappeared getting a few Bonnie's only........they ll b back though and I'll b ready

If your keen enough to go to all the effort this sort of set up helps with the hook up rate enormously.

20150909-P1010803.jpg

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 2:28 PM, Green Hornet said:

You're doing pretty good I reckon. I used to throw exactly the same lure in the same area and my wipeout rate was pretty high even on 60lb leaders. There's some big buggers hanging around there in close to the rocks, especially first thing in the morning.

If you're still using trebles, try swapping over to singles, Mustad big guns go well. Your hook up rate may drop slightly, if at all, but the amount of pulled hooks will drop to almost zero. You may need to upgrade your split rings too.

Singles also have the benefit of being much kinder to the fish if you decide to release them.

13 hours ago, joshGTV said:

Singles also have the benefit of being much kinder to the fish if you decide to release them.

Sure do, Good point.

And they're generally easier to dig out of yourself if things go wrong. Nothing worse that one treble point in an angry kingfish and the other two in your hand!

Edited by Green Hornet