Smart-A Blue Swimmer

TheCount

Started out drifting between the Rip Bridge and Killcare early morning on the run out tide with a few rods out the back baited with chicken or prawn. Picked up a nice 36cm Bream in the first half hour so decided to keep doing the same.

One drift came to an end and I started bringing in the line to go again. There was a noticeable weight on the line so I turned the handle a few more times and gave a small tug to see if something was on.. No reaction, meaning no fish and I return to steadily retrieving my line. Within say 10m of the boat, the line lifts and it looks like I'm dragging a branch across the water top so I continue to nonchalantly retrieve and keen to get on the move again. I next took notice when "it" was within a few metres of the back of the boat as "it" had sunk down from the water top and then when it got really close I noticed "it" was actually a blue swimmer! Never caught one of those before and was keen to add this to my species list.

At about a foot from the back of the boat I could see it had a claw gripping my line so obviously not hooked up. As I moved the net into position to approach it from the side I swear I saw the little bugger wink at me, open its claw and sink back to the depths of the channel. It was such a surreal experience I just had to share it...

Same place later in the day I was busted off by a very nice size flattie, well over 60cm. I think I was too quick with my retrieve but happy to learn that lesson for next time. Using 6lb leader I need to be more patient.

TC.

• Like 1

To land crabs on a baited line, I drop the landing net underneath them then quickly raise it so that the crab is in the centre of the net. This will give you a bit of leeway if they decide to swim sideways, which they will do just about every time they let go of a bait. If the crab sees the net approaching from one side, they will swim very quickly away from it, faster then you can push the net through the water.

I regularly land flathead on 6 pound mono, but do not apply too much pressure on the line, that is, the drag is not set too high.

• Like 1