Should I be worried with this?

MikeTan

Hi,

New to boating. The transom on the inside of boat has signs of having been patched in the past and has visible cracks around the entire  "well".  

Should I be concern and have it fixed? How to fix it? I have taken the boat out a couple times and it's not really taking in water .

Pics below...

2019-01-18-20-38-23.jpg

2019-01-18-20-39-41.jpg

2019-01-18-20-40-49.jpg

2019-01-18-20-41-33.jpg

I think I would be having it looked at. Put the motor up on full tilt and put some weight on the end of the motor close to prop, you may have to have someone do this while you look to see if there is movement in the transom, get the person to sort of flex the rear of the motor ( sort of sea say it ) if you know what I mean.

Frank

It could well be just superficial. Check for any movement like the previous poster said. Another thing you can do is rap around the outside of the transom with your knuckles or a blunt object and watch out for any change in sound. Any rotten areas will have a dull sound.   

Looks like filler where different mouldings meet  if there are no evident cracking on exterior you should be ok...my mate had an apollo or similar and it had same...top deck and outboard well are  seperate to floor and hull moulding so the fill the gaps with a sealant like sika to stop water intrusion...if it peels away  clean it and reseal

i agree it looks like filler/adhesive to join two molds.

On another matter from your photos, you may want to seal up the hole where the wiring loom goes into the hull/transom with something flexible and removable like clear silicon. I would avoid sikaflex for this application as it will set too hard and too strong to be removed if you need to work on/replace/updgrade/move anything in that hole. We just use marine grade clear silicon. We used to get alot of water splash in that hole once the rubber gasket came out. You do not have a rubber gasket either.