Dusky Flathead Strange Flesh

Holls

Question

Hope I'm in the right forum here. I recently caught two very nice 48cm Duskies, one a male, the other a female. The male's flesh colour was white/grey as expected, but the female with eggs had very yellow/orange flesh which was not nearly as firm. She was not sick, fought like crazy. Does anyone know anything about this? Appreciate any info (nothing online).

5 answers to this question

Getting ready to spawn, hormonal changes, something like that I would think. Similar to some of the Blue Spots I caught today outside Port Hacking, difference in flesh colour between males and pregnant females.

• Thanks 1

From what I've read previously elsewhere its most likely a fish that's spent most of its life around silt and/or weed beds.

I've caught and eaten plenty in my time and I'm still alive!

EDIT:  I just noticed you're from Kings Point so I assume your fish came from Burrill Lake. We get our fair share of yellow ones  up here in St Georges Basin which are pretty similar environments.

Edited by Green Hornet
Edit
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

Getting ready to spawn, hormonal changes, something like that I would think. Similar to some of the Blue Spots I caught today outside Port Hacking, difference in flesh colour between males and pregnant females.

Have to agree with Yowie  withthe spawning 

• Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 1:37 PM, Green Hornet said:

From what I've read previously elsewhere its most likely a fish that's spent most of its life around silt and/or weed beds.

I've caught and eaten plenty in my time and I'm still alive!

EDIT:  I just noticed you're from Kings Point so I assume your fish came from Burrill Lake. We get our fair share of yellow ones  up here in St Georges Basin which are pretty similar environments.

Yes, I'm on Burrill Lake. Got 5 nice flatties 2 days ago, the females had yellowish flesh again. Think it must be something to do with breeding status.