Vsea rewire

Busy-livin

Brain trust. 

Due to nav lights and sounder not working I have been searching past post on fishraider regarding rewiring a boat which was extremely helpful !!

this morning I got under my old vsea to investigate. Before I knew what time it was i have stripped all the old gear out and scratching my head as to how this didnt catch fire!! ( not my wiring )

So I am keeping it simple. A main power feed from the battery with an inline fuse at the battery running to a switch panel which has circuit breakers incorporating in the panel. A bus bar to carry my negatives and having tinned wire due to corrosion. 

I'll only be running nav lights, anchor light, bilge, sounder and vhf  and a strip light in the cuddy. 

Questions. 

1. Best local place for marine grade wire. ( pm me if needed ) 

2. Should I run another fuse box or is that over kill due to the breakers in the switch panel? 

20190121_075219.jpg

2 hours ago, Stanton44 said:

Brain trust. 

Due to nav lights and sounder not working I have been searching past post on fishraider regarding rewiring a boat which was extremely helpful !!

this morning I got under my old vsea to investigate. Before I knew what time it was i have stripped all the old gear out and scratching my head as to how this didnt catch fire!! ( not my wiring )

So I am keeping it simple. A main power feed from the battery with an inline fuse at the battery running to a switch panel which has circuit breakers incorporating in the panel. A bus bar to carry my negatives and having tinned wire due to corrosion. 

I'll only be running nav lights, anchor light, bilge, sounder and vhf  and a strip light in the cuddy. 

Questions. 

1. Best local place for marine grade wire. ( pm me if needed ) 

2. Should I run another fuse box or is that over kill due to the breakers in the switch panel? 

20190121_075219.jpg

What size online fuse do you have off your battery? I was going to put one in but couldn't find a fuse holder big enough.  My battery cables are like jumper lead thickness. 

If your switch panel has breakers in it for each item I think that should be enough.  Have you thought about a battery isolator to prevent any items slowly draining it while not in use? 

1 hour ago, rickmarlin62 said:

I just done my vsea recently  same principle  power to a busbar  then to lights and pumps thru switch panel  sounder an gps  radios  direct to busbar with inline fuses  all negatives to seperate neg busbar

Awesome. Great to hear you've done the same. Sounds like I should be fine