Mungo brush camp ground

longy509

Hi im heading up Mungo brush camp ground  the first weekend of march to catch up with a few mates

and was wondering if i could get some advice on whether or not its worth fishing the lakes or are we better off just fishing the beach,

Also is there any boat access to the ocean and what are the roads like into the mungo brush camp towing a 5.4m boat.

Thanks,

Steve

Dirt road after a couple ks out of hawks nest  usually good condition but being near end of holidays might be chopped up..boat ramps at tea gardens and windawoppa  5 to 6 mile trip to heads  right round west side of corrie island  beach is good to fish  lake holds fish...check previous post from few weeks ago

..rick

Hey mate,

I was in hawks Nest just last week and I found fishing the lakes is pretty hit or miss. I was throwing around small plastics in White Tree Bay and only amounted to a few small inquiries but no hook ups – didn’t try bait though.

The beach was the go in my experience. Me and my mates were just using pippies dug up from the shore as bait and were very successful in some legal dart, bream and snapper. It well could have been right place right time, but it blew us all away.

Have stayed there a number of times,usually in an old houseboat tied up close to the shore.

Pretty sure the road up from Hawk's Nest is sealed so easy travelling.

The lake there we found pretty quiet for fish but great for swimming.The beach,a short walk through the dunes is a great fishing spot and well worth your time.

The rainforest around there is a great short walk and a quick trip into town for a lazy meal etc.

Enjoy your trip.

The camp ground is run by the NPWS and there is some info on their web site here:

https://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/camping-and-accommodation/campgrounds/mungo-brush-campground

I was up here not long ago, the kids the mrs and me Stayed a bit back at Bombah Point, at Korsmans Landing Camp ground. fishing wasn't fantastic but there is a boat ramp at korsmans landing. Road coming from Bulladelah, 60/40 is blacktop / gravel and dirt. but pretty smooth. I drove my lowered standard family wagon, no issues, like i said pretty smooth.

Fishing wise, didn't catch much from the landing ground, one or two tiddlers and that was it, further down Myall Lakes and on the otherside of the ferry is a good little spot close to the actual Mungo Brush Campground site itself. Sand Point its called, again nothing major to brag about in terms of size but caught a couple of different species on light gear, who knows you might even get a crab..

Otherwise id recommend taking your beach rod, the fishing in Myall Lakes is not fantastic but i was only land based. Much better option is go for a small drive, leave the tent, lock it up and go for a day trip up towards forster, plenty of good spots there.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Mate,

I stayed at Mungo Brush Campground / Bombay Broadwater with my mrs a few weeks ago and had a great session one day catching nothing but big fish over the course of about an hour or so.  Two big flathead over 60 and three big bream all over 30.  

On the first day I'd struck out throwing blades and soft vibes around - I'd spent most of the session cleaning grass and weed off the lures.  These were pretty small lures as well - I figured that was my best shot at the time.

That night though, just on last few minutes of light, I convinced the mrs to let me have a couple of throws to see if my gold Double Clutch would manage in the grassy bottom.  Second cast and HWABAM! Something massive grabs the lure and takes a big run.  I fought it for a few more seconds and POP - lure and fish gone.

I didn't sleep much that night. 

Next day I tied on the only other gold lure I had - a shallow diving trout sort of pattern and profile with mainly gold and some white.  It was also about 1200mm with big hooks.

This didn't deter the fish at all and, if anything, I think they were chasing it down.  I found ripping the lure through the water really fast between 1-2 second pauses worked best.

I've been wondering ever since if it was a fluke because all other reports say it's extremely average. 

See if you can prove it wasn't mate. They're in there.

In short my advice would be - 

1. Big Lures, preferably gold

2. Long casts - aided by the bigger, heavier lure.

3. Fast retrieve

4. Stay off the bottom. Go for shallow diving lures.

Good luck, Bro!

PM me if it's worth a trip back!

BREAMBO.jpg

Flathead.jpg

• Like 1

If you can get some beach access in your 4x4 its worth the run as well. Enter at the lemon tree entry, let some air out and go catch some salmon!

I have embedded a vid to give you a bit of an idea of the beauty of the area.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cheers for all the advice, im a bit late on the report but my mate and i arrived on the Thursday evening and fished the beach near little gibber until 2 am friday morn we caught 8  good sized salmon and tailor around the 50 mark on hawkesbury squid that we then  used for strip baits then we managed a 70ish jew and a heap of shovel nose.Friday we hit the beach across from mungo camp trying to catch some worms seen hundreds but couldn't bag one still had fun trying.Friday night had a few to many rums/vodkas/beers with mates that had mustered up from Wollongong to to the gold coast.The boys tried for some prawns with no success but on  the sat managed a nice little 40cm flattie on plastics and a few baby bream on bait.Overall had a top weekend even after having a banger snatched out of my mouth by a kookaburra and one of the blokes having to tail wrestle a goanna out of his tinnie  that demolished his bacon egg roll that he left for 5 minutes and also getting bogged twice on my first beach driving attempt.

• Like 1

Sounds like an awesome trip, from mustling jewies and shovel nose to wrestling a goanna in a takedown of who can handle the bacon. Im surprised you didn't have any roos playing who can pinch a shrimp off the barby,

Any pics Longy?? i gotta get back up there,