Port Stephens- Big Day, Big Gear, Big Result

Scratchie

85EA29D9-07FB-419B-939C-16434A5FB6D6.png.7d6a7505764e48c80cbacbc506788b66.png

Dohhhhh.

Well that was kind of our result!!!

Headed out with @Woodsy1 and @tyrone07 yesterday in search of a beak! Gentlemen start of 615. Bait first incase we need it later, headed straight to the fad and carpark later!!

The water inshore up here has been cold and dirty for the past month and yesterday was no exception! All the way to the fad is was around or under 20c. 

We got there and there were divers on it and they didn’t get anything. So one quick circle and off we went. The further we pushed the better the water got and by time we hit the shelf it was 27deg. Trouble was there was no signs of life! Not many birds, no bait anywhere and the current was running downhill at at least 4knots. We persisted and circled areas I’ve caught in the past but it wasn’t to be! Mind you, the conditions that presented themselves were the best I’ve ever fished in! 

We stuck it out and did the miles but just couldn’t find any bait. So with glass out conditions we pulled in the lures and screamed back to Broughton at 30plus knots and hoped for a couple of snapper! 

They were still there, Woodsy managed a couple of legals, I pulled a nice one just under 60 and Tyrone learnt the lesson of tighter drag and what a good snapper can do to you! Haha 🤣 So all wasn’t lost. 

Pulled the pin and back to the ramp at 6. 

Wasn’t great to draw a blank but that is game Fishing! 

Thanks for the day Woodsy and Tyrone, always a pleasure! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

4BACC76E-5D86-41D9-9699-DBCCE071A62F.thumb.jpeg.e0fca810a53be4e7a5de67e361745fb7.jpeg

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

We persisted and circled areas I’ve caught in the past but it wasn’t to be! Mind you, the conditions that presented themselves were the best I’ve ever fished in! 

Sometimes I guess the best conditions for you aren't the best or most productive to the fishing.

Such is life.

Beats working though 😀

Always pays to have a fall back plan! Well done! I was wondering if you headed out yesterday. The water looks perfect! I’m hoping to head out tomorrow - I’ve been busy rerigging my outfits. Plaited my doubles, measured them, attached the wind on leader, crimped on my ball bearing swivels, measured the leader, the double/leader combo to be inside 20ft (up to 10kg class) and inside 40ft (15kg class), then I remembered I hadn’t allowed for the extra leader on my skirted lures or live bait bridle rigs, so had to redo them! 😂

I won’t be heading to the Car Park or the shelf anyway, probably just Broughton, although I am determined to get to the FAD one day! To be honest, I’d be happy with just a bag of flatties - it’s been so long since I’ve been fishing!

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done fellas,must have been a big day and a lot of Klm .

ill see you up there tomorrow baz.

That’s if the missus gives me a day pass. You shoulda seen the look I got when I said I might go out tomorrow! 😡

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

That’s if the missus gives me a day pass. You shoulda seen the look I got when I said I might go out tomorrow! 😡

7 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Grow a set Baz! 

Come on scratchie there might be something real important for Baz to do...……………………………………..like gardening :074:

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Come on scratchie there might be something real important for Baz to do...……………………………………..like gardening :074:

Well actually, most of the garden is finished, just 20m of hedge left to trim on a cooler day. I’ve just had a swim and a couple of beers and I’m about to mow the lawn. Only trouble is, my son’s Toyota Coaster motorhome is parked on the front lawn and I can’t find the keys- I’ll just have to mow around it!

Edited by Berleyguts

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

Well actually, most of the garden is finished, just 20m of hedge left to trim on a cooler day. I’ve just had a swim and a couple of beers and I’m about to mow the lawn. Only trouble is, my son’s Toyota Coaster motorhome I’d parked on the front lawn and I can’t find the keys- I’ll just have to mow around it!

Did you ask permission to have those beers baz! :074:

Get out there  mate and let’s see a report! Good luck! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Mate those conditions look awesome! We brought the boat back to Pittwater on Sunday for Australia Day weekend and that 4knt current on a southerly swell and 20knt wind created a very ugly ocean! Temp went from 19 up to 27 within a couple miles, never seen it climb so much before! Once we hit terrigal it was flat and we hammered home at 30knts...

looked very fishy, a couple marlin reported alone the coast but not much else. All we got was mini Mahi Mahi that I think we ended up towing for a couple miles each time cause they weren’t big enough to take drag! Ha

What a way to save the day, my mouth watered looking at that snapper! As usual you pull the rabbit out the hat....

Great report as always!

6 hours ago, back cruncher said:

Hi all...well done fellas,must have been a big day and a lot of Klm .

ill see you up there tomorrow baz.

Well... I got a “Do whatever you want”, so I will but somehow I think it will come back to bite me! 😂

See you out there @back cruncher. Do you have VHF? We can call each other up on 72. I’m Sea Miner but I’ll answer to Berleyguts. 😎

8 hours ago, Ka-Ching said:

Mate those conditions look awesome! We brought the boat back to Pittwater on Sunday for Australia Day weekend and that 4knt current on a southerly swell and 20knt wind created a very ugly ocean! Temp went from 19 up to 27 within a couple miles, never seen it climb so much before! Once we hit terrigal it was flat and we hammered home at 30knts...

looked very fishy, a couple marlin reported alone the coast but not much else. All we got was mini Mahi Mahi that I think we ended up towing for a couple miles each time cause they weren’t big enough to take drag! Ha

What a way to save the day, my mouth watered looking at that snapper! As usual you pull the rabbit out the hat....

Great report as always!

Cheers mate! Glad you made the trek down safely! 

We had the same thing with the water! It climbed dramatically, so after working the shelf we came back and worked that area but it was all over the place and no bait anywhere! 

As for the snapper, it’s always an option!!! 😂

5 hours ago, quintrex52 said:

That’s fishing sometimes.. but you can almost feel the marlin fishing will be going ballistic in the next few weeks. Snapper is never a bad back up 👌

Cheers mate! The beauty of flat seas! You can go almost anywhere in one day! 

Beats any day at work that’s for sure, can’t believe how good those conditions were out there. Haha should have stayed in Sydney the good bite was all down this way, think you have me hooked on the reds for good now though

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, tyrone07 said:

Beats any day at work that’s for sure, can’t believe how good those conditions were out there. Haha should have stayed in Sydney the good bite was all down this way, think you have me hooked on the reds for good now though

Haha, I seen your face when that thing hit you and didn’t give you a chance! Priceless!! That’s the adrenaline of a good snapper! 👍

• Like 1

On 1/22/2019 at 4:34 PM, rickmarlin62 said:

Recipe.....two teaspoons cement powder in milkshake....harden the #@*% up...go fishing and be damned with the consequences......lol

and you might be looking to get banned  shortly @rickmarlin62

All jokes aside you guys need to appreciate your wives and families. There are lots of lonely old (and young) fishos that spend their lives alone. If fishing and your mates is your only passion and first priority then don't get married or procreate :)

• Like 1