Advice for my first time fishing in WA

Aardvarking

So this Friday me and my Family are setting off on a trip to Western Australia, and will be spending a few weeks travelling around from Fremantle to Albany. We are spending 2 nights in Fremantle, 5 nights in Yallingup, and then spending 10 days driving down to Albany, stopping wherever we please. I can tell it's going to be a great trip, but with all that has being going on for me recently I realised that I completely forgot to plan what sort of fishing I was going to do! I have never been to WA, and don't really know much about what it has to offer. I am keen on catching some new species we don't have in NSW, but am really not fussed as long as I'm catching fish.

I am just looking for any advice I can get about A ) What styles of fishing are popular and what species of fish are there to target? and B ) What are some good fishing destinations to stop at on the scenic drive from Yallingup to Albany? I will be buying a fresh new rod for the trip so I'm really open to targeting anything, but I'm not big on beach fishing so I'm looking for more info in regards to rivers and estuaries.

Any help is really appreciated. Of course I'm not asking anyone to reveal any secret spots, just some general info to get me started so I can know what to look for. I've been trying to do some research but figuring out how to fish a whole state has proved pretty overwhelming, especially with only 3 days to go. :P 

Im not sure there are many Raiders from WA. I hitchhiked the west coast back in ‘83 with a fishing rod and a guitar. Back then, down south it was all tommy ruff (herring) and salmon. There are also bream, flathead and jew in the Swan River. My first tip is to visit a local tackle shop as soon as you get there (not that 3 lettered chain store where you have f...ing fun). They’ll give you the local info you need. You’re only in Fremantle for 2 nights but I can recommend a very good charter out of Fremantle. My wife was working in Perth for a couple of weeks last year and I flew over to join her for a few days. Took this morning charter for $150 and bagged a 77cm snapper (small for them) on plastics. I was stoked! He also chases dhufish, amberjack or Samson fish (can’t remember) and broadbill (that’s a $300 charter according to his website). There was only 2 of us on the charter. I’m hoping to go again this year. Send me a PM if you’re interested. Make sure you go to Rottnest Island - the water is so fishy over there!

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it will be a case of getting out the chart plotter & looking at towns near waterways on your routes.

Inevitably I would say the coastal areas will give you a lot more options as Baz has mentioned.

Local tackle stores are a wealth of information & will generally gladly offer you some good info as long as they think your going to buy some bait or some tackle.

Sometimes looking into getting a guide can pay dividends, that's if you want to splash out the cash for one & spending enough time in one location?

Also have you looked into if a licence or permit is required for WA??

Yeah, I'll definitely make sure to pop into the local tackle store and get some info when I first arrive. Also I've looked into WA fishing licenses, I'll make sure I'm fully legal when I arrive. 

Even though I see their merit I'm not personally big into charters, I just feel way more accomplished when I've gone out and done it myself. I might consider and exception this once seeing I'm in a new area though, so I'll have a think about it. 

I have  a book with WA fishing spots and related info . It is not the latest edition.  It can tell what species you can expect to catch and where,  but not how or when. If you are still interested - I can PM you the screenshots with details for the related region. 

As for local fishing methods/rigs/baits or lures/current species biting - I would check also the usual suspects - local fishing forums or FB groups as these topics are usually discussed without any restrictions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Aardvarking said:

Yeah, I'll definitely make sure to pop into the local tackle store and get some info when I first arrive. Also I've looked into WA fishing licenses, I'll make sure I'm fully legal when I arrive. 

Even though I see their merit I'm not personally big into charters, I just feel way more accomplished when I've gone out and done it myself. I might consider and exception this once seeing I'm in a new area though, so I'll have a think about it. 

OK.

Salmon: lures, pilchards on a gang hook or even beach worms.

Tommy Ruff: They tend to use “berley bomb” type sinkers or floats over there, loaded up with bran or pollard or a ready made berley powder. Small hooks. Bait - pieces of peeled prawn, bread, etc. Back in the 80s I was told to try green peas, so I did, and I caught tommy ruff. Go figure!

There are not many estuaries in the south west corner. The Swan River mainly. Mandurah is worth a look, also