After-work Rose Bay session

chrisevz1337

Raiders, been an avid reader for around 12 months, but had nothing noteworthy to shout about - this is my first post - so go easy!

Missus was working late tonight so dashed home for a quick flick across the Rose Bay sand flats. I’ve really been persevering with a few donuts and wind knots here over the past 6-months, but given how close it is to home, and being primarily land based - I’ve kept coming back.

finally, for the first time in a long time, I actually saw some action.

Interestingly, I turned up around 6;45pm - the low tide was the lowest I’ve ever seen it. The waves were breaking in probably 30cm of water, at least 250m out from the standard high tide mark. I hooked up my curly tailz 4” white SP and started wading out. 10lb mono, no leader.

Whilst trying to learn of the various hot spots, I’d heard raiders here talk about the drop off near the moored boats, but only loosely understood where it might be. However, with the tide so low, you could clearly see, and wade directly alongside, a clear, almost knife edge drop off, about 30 mtrs to the right of the moored boys, about 200mtrs from shore. Still in 30 Cm of water at this point.

im out for around 10 mins, watching some big rays drift past, as well as the odd leatherjacket, before bang - lines tight and the drag goes off. Without much of a fight I pull a 42cm flattie in for a photo, and release. 

5 mins later, 20m further out, on again - a much lighter in colour, 33cm flattie. Back in.

Noticing the thick weed bed fairly close to shore, I have a quick cast and maintain a slow constant action to prevent snagging, and boom, another hit - but different take. Harder fight - comes into shore and it’s 29cm tailor. First one Tailor since moving here!

Finally, wade back out past the moored boats, tip toeing past some big rays, and have a final cast,which after 10 mins produces another flattie, 45cm this time. Quick photo and released.

Easily the best day I’ve had down there. Two questions to end with - as I headed back home, another fisho turned up with fly fishing gear. What would he have been after on a Fly?

Also - anyone got tips for using poppers to target whiting? Would love some whiting surface action and they must be down there at rose bay!

cheers

chris

47B7118E-17F5-44E6-8472-2FD9CB68EAB8.jpeg

B8DAEC23-3331-4B49-A95B-F3EC280085E0.jpeg

Edited by chrisevz1337
  • Like 5

On 1/24/2019 at 11:49 PM, chrisevz1337 said:

Raiders, been an avid reader for around 12 months, but had nothing noteworthy to shout about - this is my first post - so go easy!

Missus was working late tonight so dashed home for a quick flick across the Rose Bay sand flats. I’ve really been persevering with a few donuts and wind knots here over the past 6-months, but given how close it is to home, and being primarily land based - I’ve kept coming back.

finally, for the first time in a long time, I actually saw some action.

Interestingly, I turned up around 6;45pm - the low tide was the lowest I’ve ever seen it. The waves were breaking in probably 30cm of water, at least 250m out from the standard high tide mark. I hooked up my curly tailz 4” white SP and started wading out. 10lb mono, no leader.

Whilst trying to learn of the various hot spots, I’d heard raiders here talk about the drop off near the moored boats, but only loosely understood where it might be. However, with the tide so low, you could clearly see, and wade directly alongside, a clear, almost knife edge drop off, about 30 mtrs to the right of the moored boys, about 200mtrs from shore. Still in 30 Cm of water at this point.

im out for around 10 mins, watching some big rays drift past, as well as the odd leatherjacket, before bang - lines tight and the drag goes off. Without much of a fight I pull a 42cm flattie in for a photo, and release. 

5 mins later, 20m further out, on again - a much lighter in colour, 33cm flattie. Back in.

Noticing the thick weed bed fairly close to shore, I have a quick cast and maintain a slow constant action to prevent snagging, and boom, another hit - but different take. Harder fight - comes into shore and it’s 29cm tailor. First one Tailor since moving here!

Finally, wade back out past the moored boats, tip toeing past some big rays, and have a final cast,which after 10 mins produces another flattie, 45cm this time. Quick photo and released.

Easily the best day I’ve had down there. Two questions to end with - as I headed back home, another fisho turned up with fly fishing gear. What would he have been after on a Fly?

Also - anyone got tips for using poppers to target whiting? Would love some whiting surface action and they must be down there at rose bay!

cheers

chris

47B7118E-17F5-44E6-8472-2FD9CB68EAB8.jpeg

B8DAEC23-3331-4B49-A95B-F3EC280085E0.jpeg

Nice report and congratulations on the great catch. Were you tempted to keep them? They'd make a great feed.

Are you using braid? You mention wind knots but then said you were using 10lb mono with no leader.

Edited by nutsaboutfishing

Top report and a very warm welcome to Fishraider. Whiting can be caught on the flats using surface poppers of about 40mm and a light braid and mono leader. The person with the fly gear may well have been after Whiting too. Cheers,bn

Guest Guest123456789

Sometimes the fish feed on small bait smaller than the size of a 5 cent piece (called eyes). Fly rod is the best way to mimic eyes as the line has weight enough to cast.

Used to fish RB a lot.

Guy with the fly rod would have been Joe - there a few times a week at least - catches all sorts; flatties, whiting, tailor etc.

The tailor normally show up around 7pm on the dot in the super shallow water south west of the bay and will hit anything (quicker the retrieve, the better).

Extremely productive along that drop off - have caught salmon, big trevs, lots of flatties, bream, snapper, bonnies, mac tuna and seen a few much bigger pelagics breaching the surface just out of casts' reach.

Always fish it on the low tide - last hour of the run out being the most productive. Just slowly start from close to shore and work your way out to as deep as you can handle.

In regards to rays - i've stood on one there (many actually, but only been properly stung once) and it sent me to hospital - so be wary. Numb rays are also common and will give you a serious shock...

As far as the whiting are concerned, as Neil mentioned, i like to use little stickbaits and poppers. Halco Rooster 45, Sammy 65 (my personal fave) and the Lucky Craft NW pencil a close second. Clear colours, or anything that imitates a shrimp.

I find it more productive over towards the Dumaresque side of the beach - or just to the eastern side of the middle storm water drain. You will be able to pick out gutters/gullys across the beach - fish from the knolls, and throw your lure over the gully, preferably with the wind, and work it back to you. Can be an exciting form of fishing when they are on - 10-15 whiting chasing your surface lure before one finally comes and belts it.

Should have a few reports on it if you go back through my post history.

Sounds like a good day - keep at it!

M.