No school prawns for sale in the fish shops

Yowie

I have not seen any school prawns for sale in any of the fish shops I have visited this summer in the Sutherland Shire. Usually some for sale by now.

So I called the fish shop on the northern side of Lake Illawarra, always some for sale there over summer. The lady there told me that the fishermen have not been able to cover their costs with the amount of prawns caught so far, so no more trying until next summer. She said the scoopers are pulling out a kilo or 2, but the pros are not bothering. Due to the lack of rain to flush them out.

Anyone seen any schoolies for sale in their local fish shops?

(I visit the fish shops to see what is available and what prices they are extorting from their customers)

Thanks K.C.

I prefer the schoolies when they are available, as they are usually not frozen. The bigger prawns have just about all been frozen - snap frozen on the trawlers that could be out to sea for a week or 2.

In some places in northern W.A. when I visited last year, all seafood is frozen, nothing fresh available.

My better half bought 2 kg of imported cooked prawns for my Birthday dinner ( early ) . They are from Tailand or somewhere similar. Now I'm not the fastest prawn sheller in the world but also not the slowest, It took me over an hour to shell the 2 kg, the shells are so soft it's hard to tell shell from skin, dead set the hardest prawns I ever had to shell in my life. However the  taste was nice and sweet and worth the hard work. A bit off topic I know but has anyone else experienced these prawns. It's like they were going through a molting process and the shell hadn't hardened yet.

Frank

37 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Also I presume you're talking about raw prawns yowie??

Cooked schoolies.

I have seen uncooked schoolies at Hurstville Shopping Centre before, but sometimes that have been dead for some time.

3 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

What about Mac's?

Cannot remember the last time I saw schoolies at Mac's. Usually they sell the larger king prawns, as customers do not want to spend all day peeling schoolies.

2 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

So we are talking bait right?

Anyway hope someone else can offer some suggestions for you!

For eating. The schoolies are small, but better flavour than the bigger ones if they are fresh. Use to catch them at Lake Illawarra as a kid, kept a few alive for whiting and flatties the following morning.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

So we are talking bait right?

Anyway hope someone else can offer some suggestions for you!

The DPI has recommended not using raw prawns for bait if they were meant for human consumption.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/fishing/pests-diseases/animal-health/aquaculture/white-spot-disease/important-information-for-recreation-fishers-use-of-prawns-as-bait

46 minutes ago, nutsaboutfishing said:

No one was suggesting such a thing anyway so I thing your over reading this thread but thanks for the reminder.

Edited by kingie chaser

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2019 at 12:37 PM, Yowie said:

I have not seen any school prawns for sale in any of the fish shops I have visited this summer in the Sutherland Shire. Usually some for sale by now.

So I called the fish shop on the northern side of Lake Illawarra, always some for sale there over summer. The lady there told me that the fishermen have not been able to cover their costs with the amount of prawns caught so far, so no more trying until next summer. She said the scoopers are pulling out a kilo or 2, but the pros are not bothering. Due to the lack of rain to flush them out.

Anyone seen any schoolies for sale in their local fish shops?

(I visit the fish shops to see what is available and what prices they are extorting from their customers)

Why school. Prawns. May I ask??? I always buy thr banana prawns from. Woolies and cut it into small. PC's... So why school. Prawns yowie if u dont mind me. Asking. And my local fish shop always have schools lol but I never buy them... 

Hi Yowie,

The pro fishermen I know on the south coast have also had a poor season and school prawns have been in short supply due to a lack of rain earlier in the year.  I went out to North Durras a couple of nights ago for a scoop and picked up 15 prawns in 3 hours.  It was a tasty but very modest lunch the next day!!

Dave

14 hours ago, papafish said:

Why school. Prawns. May I ask??? I always buy thr banana prawns from. Woolies and cut it into small. PC's... So why school. Prawns yowie if u dont mind me. Asking. And my local fish shop always have schools lol but I never buy them... 

Sometimes I like eating freshly caught school prawns, as they are usually not frozen like the larger prawns.

On 2/6/2019 at 3:45 PM, Yowie said:

Sometimes I like eating freshly caught school prawns, as they are usually not frozen like the larger prawns.

What the lol. I thought u were using it for bait.... I only brought it for bait never tried eating them. But campsie is the place you'll find them.