Jervis bay fish ID (Sand Whiting)

Chasin'tale

Question

Another quick one guys, Thought this was a sand whiting but now I'm lead to believe it is an eastern school whiting, caught in very shallow waters amongst the swimmers at Jervis bay, there were lots swimming around, want to be 100% sure because I am teaching my kids to ID the different fish species, as well as learning myself.

IMG_20190126_160057.jpg

2 answers to this question

Looking at the book Sea Fishes of Southern Australia.

The main diagnostic is the rear margin of the first dorsal fin. Concave in sand whiting, convex in trumpeter and eastern school whiting.

Also mentioned is the ‘dusky blotch at the base of the pectoral fin’. Present in sand and trumpeter whiting, absent in school whiting.

Also mentioned are the diagonal bars along the back of the school whiting - which darken after death.

So its diagnostics are in line with a sand whiting.

Edited by Volitan
Typo

12 minutes ago, Chasin'tale said:

Another quick one guys, Thought this was a sand whiting but now I'm lead to believe it is an eastern school whiting, caught in very shallow waters amongst the swimmers at Jervis bay, there were lots swimming around, want to be 100% sure because I am teaching my kids to ID the different fish species, as well as learning myself.

IMG_20190126_160057.jpg

Have to agree