Sydney Offshore

GoingFishing

Headed out today for marlin. Hit the water at 6am and packed up at 2 without turning a reel. 

Conditons were great despite the forecast.

Water varied between 25 and 26.1 warmest we found and we covered the inshore reefs from Manly waverider to botany wide fad. 

Off manly there were thousands of birds and probably a couple of hundred dolphins smashing what looked to be sardines or pilchards.

Trolled that area for about 1.5 hrs with no strikes. I was sure with that much bait around there had to be a marlin or two around.

Do marlin and dolphins hang out together? 

Anyone else get out today? Would love any intel for next trip.

Edited by GoingFishing

There was only a few caught off Sydney yesterday. Little blacks in close. 

Definitely a hit or miss situation as always! Do the miles and you’ll get the smiles! 

Mate at  least the water is better down there than up here! Not hearing much at all for PS. This time of year is usually on fire! 

Keep at it! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

1 hour ago, Scratchie said:

Definitely a hit or miss situation as always! Do the miles and you’ll get the smiles! 

Mate at  least the water is better down there than up here! Not hearing much at all for PS. This time of year is usually on fire! 

Keep at it! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

And the annual game fishing comp is coming up next month so doesn't sound to good!

1 hour ago, kingie chaser said:

And the annual game fishing comp is coming up next month so doesn't sound to good!

Well they can’t be far off. But the season is definitely going to be shorter than last year! 

We’ll be back to chasing winter reds before you know it! ( what a shame 😝

13 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Headed out today for marlin. Hit the water at 6am and packed up at 2 without turning a reel. 

Conditons were great despite the forecast.

Water varied between 25 and 26.1 warmest we found and we covered the inshore reefs from Manly waverider to botany wide fad. 

Off manly there were thousands of birds and probably a couple of hundred dolphins smashing what looked to be sardines or pilchards.

Trolled that area for about 1.5 hrs with no strikes. I was sure with that much bait around there had to be a marlin or two around.

Do marlin and dolphins hang out together? 

Anyone else get out today? Would love any intel for next trip.

NEVER LEAVE BAIT!!!You should have been on a workup like that at the tide change, something will turn up , but i would suggest a skip bait or livie rather than lures, also smaller lures like Uzis are probably the way to go at the momnet 

Went out last Monday in similar conditions, water temp went from 22.7 to 24.8 trolled & threw livies from manly to long reef wide fads ran Current lines, birds & bait, south of Sydney came across about 5 sets of lobster buoys got one legal dolly, saw a good stripy tailing worked the area over with 5” to 12inch lures got a couple of micro Dolly’s that couldn’t even trip the rigger, like you got as far as botany fad & back to Sydney heads for zilch, heard of a couple of blacks hooked in 35 to 60 meters,  came across some good bait balls at the heads in 35 meters , might be worthwhile staying in close next time & working over the bait balls

10 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Keep at it! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Thanks Scratchie. Yuppp burned alot of fuel trolling.... btw... we managed two strikes last week at 8 knots....tho yesterday i saw alot of boats who seemed to be going slower than that? How do you know if you should be fast or slow trolling.

(Obviously i have alot to learn in this space sorry for all the questions!)

I really need to get some reliable info sources so i dont have to keep pestering individuals!! Can anyone recommend a info source be it insta, facebook page or other website? Plz PM me.

7 hours ago, PaddyT said:

NEVER LEAVE BAIT!!!You should have been on a workup like that at the tide change, something will turn up , but i would suggest a skip bait or livie rather than lures, also smaller lures like Uzis are probably the way to go at the momnet 

Thanks mate for the tip.... i had the same beleif but after 1.5 hrs of trolling through thousands of birds and dolphins with no strikes i felt confident no marlin were around.

How lon would you suggest to stay in the same patch if bait are on the surface?

6 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

Went out last Monday in similar conditions, water temp went from 22.7 to 24.8 trolled & threw livies from manly to long reef wide fads ran Current lines, birds & bait, south of Sydney came across about 5 sets of lobster buoys got one legal dolly, saw a good stripy tailing worked the area over with 5” to 12inch lures got a couple of micro Dolly’s that couldn’t even trip the rigger, like you got as far as botany fad & back to Sydney heads for zilch, heard of a couple of blacks hooked in 35 to 60 meters,  came across some good bait balls at the heads in 35 meters , might be worthwhile staying in close next time & working over the bait balls

Cheers mate hopefully you get a strike next time ! I found heaps of micro dollies at the sydney fad and waverider but all small.....seemed to be heaps of fish hanging around the bottom of the FAD with big balls showing on the sounder.

Ok ill answer a few of your questions and ask you some- 8knots-bit fast- 6 knots is what i normally run at , a lot of lures start to "blow out " above that speed, what lures are you running and where do you run them? I still get back to my original point if you find masses of bait DONT leave it- sooner or later a fish will turn up- did you mark any fish down under the bait- if so drop a livie or keep circling- I set up my spread so i can turn very sharp corners- amazing how many times ive turned onto a fish that ive seen or marked- too many lures out the back make that hard. If you find bait or get a strike at a certain depth- STAY there for a trigger to occur- tidechange/windshift. Last year one day we went 2-2-1 INSIDE the North head FAD in 40M of water, the first bite happened early and ikept working the same area and on the tide change and the arrival of a Sthly buster we caught one- 6hrs later- so perseverence pays- the only other fish we heard that day was also caught in 40m- up at Barranjoey- so thats were the bait was and eventually the fish. Ask as many questions as you like

Between 6-8 knots is fine depending on lures. You want them running through the face of your wake not falling and bouncing off the back of it. 

The other guys may have been skip baiting or trolling livies. 

Lures- 6-8 knots

skip baiting - 4 knots 

live baiting- drift or boat just in gear! 

Ask as many questions as you want! That’s what this forum is all about! Don’t forget, everyone that is reading this thread is learning too!! 

Cheers scratchie!!!