Shimano TLD 50

GoingFishing

I recently purchased a shimano tld50. It came prespooled with 800m of 50lb mono.

First time using it i noticed that when winding the line in it inly winds over the centre. Creating a thicker section in the middle 

Tried fiddling about with various settings and parts but cant work it out.

Am i missing something?

Yes mate!! With all game gear you need to thumb the spool. 

In other words, you need to manually move the line as you are winding it in from side to side to stop it gathering in the one spot!!

This is very important as any nick on that line and you’ll lose your fish! 

I hope I explained that ok! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

13 minutes ago, Scratchie said:

Yes mate!! With all game gear you need to thumb the spool. 

In other words, you need to manually move the line as you are winding it in from side to side to stop it gathering in the one spot!!

This is very important as any nick on that line and you’ll lose your fish! 

I hope I explained that ok! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

Holy crap.......asif fighting gamefish is not hard enough as it is.

How does one thumb the line to get the line to come back on evenly?

So one hand cranking the handle, the other hand on the rod......where do i get an extra thumb to "thumb" the spool

Edited by GoingFishing
  • Haha 1

You do it with your thumb on an overhead... and yes , it needs to be practised a lot to make it second nature.

Alvey side cast users probably have a head start on this as it is something you also need to do on a side cast except it is underneath the reel generally with a pointer or  index finger or both.

On a game reel the even placement is not so critical because you are not casting. You can sort of compensation to some degree if it is building up on one side and favour the other side of the spool.

There is a tool you can buy to help but its more about saving your finger from line burn with a fish on and under pressure.

Edited by fragmeister
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

So one hand cranking the handle, the other hand on the rod......where do i get an extra thumb to "thumb" the spool

You hold the rod with your left hand and the thumb on the left hand moves backwards and forwards (well, left to right, right to left) to layer the line on evenly. It’s pretty easy once you get used to it. If you have novices on board using your gear, it can be a bit of a struggle getting them to do it right. I bought a Shimano Charter Special, which has a level wind and my family has no problem with it. I’m only running 6kg mono on it but it will handle 10.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Haha! Level winding is where you crank with the right hand, hold the rod with your left and lift your thumb to guide the line onto the spool. 

Lots to think about ay??? 

Normally in the mayhem of a strike and fight there’s small things we don’t think about but just stay calm and communicate and it will all fall into place! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

once hooked up to a fish with harness on put your left hand on top of reel and level the line out.....if set up properly you use your legs to pump and wind not your left arm....in general use as scratchie said lift your left thumb up and push line from side to side   simplesness

• Like 2

As mentioned by everyone above, guide it with your left thumb. It becomes second nature very quickly. We used to bottom bash with TLDs years ago and you get used to it, and that was with braid. These days i have to concentrate not to guide the line with my thumb when i am using a reel with a level wind. If your reel if filled to the max capacity wise it is critical to wind it on evenly so as not to hit the top. If you keep bulking it and hitting the top then strip some line off (50m) and see how you go. 

• Like 1

50 size reels are pretty hard to level wind when hooked up and under pressure without a harness, you just got to practice, 25 odd years of throwing metal off the stones with an overhead kind of gets you lots of practice. Get a decent harness set up and practice with that- Black Magic or Braid are the way to go 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2019 at 7:28 PM, GoingFishing said:

This made me laugh 😂, you're right!

For smaller overheads for bottom bashing and light trolling I have a couple of Shimano Charter Specials, they have levelwind, only small reels though.. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, lakelad said:

This made me laugh 😂, you're right!

For smaller overheads for bottom bashing and light trolling I have a couple of Shimano Charter Specials, they have levelwind, only small reels though.. 

Not exactly suited to gamefishing, level winds wont hack it