your opinion on quality 4,6,8 pound monofilament.

leonardgid

Hi everyone.  looking to stock up on quality line  (monofilament ),   in 4 , 6, 8 , and 12 pound braking strain ,  i  use 12 for rock and beach  bait fishing using  threadline reels  and need a line  that helps with distance casting , 

the 4, 6, and 8  pound  i mainly use without any weight  at all  . i prefer  a clear line thinking that  it does not frighted fish , 

not interested in braid ,  any opinions  are welcome  , thank you all for reading this 

It depends on your priorities. If you want thin for breaking strain, Siglon is good but test your knots each time you tie a new one and it is not as abrasion resistant as other thicker lines if you are around structure alot. It also gets sad from the sun and salt over time if you don't look after it. I used to get bulk spools of it in 6 and 8lb and use it or bait fishing for bream and the like in the bays and rivers. Schneider (this is thick but tough) or Tortue if you are your line on the rocks or snags. Maxim UltraGreen is a very good alrounder when you take into account price, quality, thinness, abrasion, knot strength.

Don't let the light green colour of these lines put you off, clear lines look a little white anyway.

I like Schneider line.

Also, for sizing of mono lines, use the number on the packet as a guide only. The thickness is a more reliable measure of strength generally. So if 2 lines say 10lb, the thicker one will more than likely be stronger.  

Edited by Hateanchors
Typo

I use Platypus Pretest in 2, 3, 4 and 6kg. It is pretested and the actual tested breaking strain is written in the spool. It will break just under the stated line class - important in ANSA & IGFA fishing... don’t want the fish of a lifetime to be disqualified because a line tests just over the line class. I usually use the flouro Pretest, as I can see it easier and I don’t really believe it puts the fish off. However, in very clear, shallow water, chasing finicky bream and whiting etc, I’ll use the plain Pretest.