Hobie Wan Kenobi

suttonscurse

Hi guys -

As a retirement present for myself (finally gave up work in December after 46 years) I gave myself a present of a 2018 model Hobie Mirage Pro Angler 14' on a Hobie Sea Trail trailer (built by Ausmarine) - have added the usual H crate , rod Holders , anchor trolley etc. and also a Lowrance Hook 2/5 splitshot sounder with GPS and maps powered by a lithium battery  (after having 9 boats over the years , looking to have something easier to maintain and to use single handed)  

Have already taken it out on the Georges River 3 times - using Revesby boat ramp  (must admit I was a bit apprehensive on 1st trip ) but have found it to be a very stable craft with plenty of room for all my gear and the new mirage 180 pedal drive (with forward and reverse ) is wonderful -especially after 2 knee replacements last year , the stepping action required has been very easy to use - even after travelling 8kms on last trip and no knee pain /issues at all which is great for future ongoing use

Very happy with the Hobie (albeit they are expensive)  -It is  very well made quality Kayak with plenty of options and accessories for me to play with.

Pleased that it came with a trailer -it is a heavy kayak and would be too difficult for me to get onto roof racks   on my Volvo V90 cross country wagon  but am enjoying that it is a easy unit to maneuver on my steep driveway  and the trailer makes life so much easier.

Christened it with a 30cm bream caught on a soft plastic prawn at Alfords Point bridge (Georges River ) and I intend to explore the Central Coast lakes  , South Coast estuaries  and Port Hacking ( maybe bump into a friendly Yowie?) as well as the local Georges / Woronora river systems   (just waiting for the spare wheel / trailer bracket to come back into stock before I start trailing any distance from home - don't like being without a spare for the trailer )

Will submit further reports as I get out and about

regards Bill

hobie 001.JPG

hobie 003.JPG

Hobie-002.JPG

Edited by suttonscurse
  • Like 2

Thanks guys. - have had a hiatus from   Fishraider for the last 18 months but now that I am retired ( with a lot more free time for fishing and golf 🤗) I look forward to being a much more active member of the team  and sharing my exploits / misfortunes  🥴

p.s. Donna - re knee replacements. - I probably waited too long to have them done  ( separately ) 

1st 2 weeks was rather unpleasant  - took around 12 weeks each time to start feeling like I had knees again but now after  44 weeks and 24 weeks very happy with having the ops done ( no more pain or limping and almost back to normal ) 

Bought the Hobie kayak instead of another boat as the mirage pedal drive is great exercise for the knees , kayak speed is surprisingly fast , most of my fishing / boating ended up being single handed anyway and the overall cost of the new kayak setup on the trailer was about 25% of the cost of a nice boat  -  probably will buy another boat when my wife lets us downsize down to the South Coast  - Kiama / Nowra area ? 

Regards Bill 

Edited by suttonscurse
  • Like 1

Nice outfit and well decked out. I wouldn't trust myself in a yak would have it upside down more than the right way round. As for the spare tyre I just keep it in the back of my wagon, a spare bolted onto the trailer is thief bait even if it's locked .

Frank

Thanks for the feedback Frank 

Being more front row forward than winger size I was also very apprehensive  about staying upright in a Kayak - I did a few test  runs in different kayaks before deciding on the PA 14

The Hobie Pro Angler 14 is a very wide and stable craft and after the 1st trip in it I became very confident in its ability to keep me dry ( albeit with its 4.2 metre length and just under 1 metre width - plus all my fishing crap it is a heavy bugger ) 

I am however still wearing the Hobie PFD  as a extra precaution ( in preference  to a much lighter and cooler inflatable unit )  and have my handheld vhf  secured in one front pocket and my mobile in a waterproof  bag in the other pocket 

I agree about having the spare tyre on a trailer bracket being attractive to the more nefarious types but luggage space ends up at a premium  in the wagon on holiday trips / weekends away 

this is my 10th boat trailer ( I was going to call the kayak “never again #10”    🤪)  and I have always cable locked the spare wheel / bracket to the trailer frame and used locking nuts on both the wheel hubs and trailer spare mount - I have never had an issue ( touch wood) and my  outlook is that by doing this it will stop the opportunists ( look elsewhere  instead😠)  - it never will stop the professionals but will make it as difficult as possible 

i probably am too cautious as even though my garage is alarmed I have a trailer wheel clamp fitted , trailer coupling lock and the kayak cable locked to the trailer even whilst it is locked away ?

Anyway - now it is all about having fun and catching fish ( on both lures and bait ) I even intend to try some luderick fishing out of the kayak in the cooler months 

Cheers ... Bill

Edited by suttonscurse

• 4 weeks later...

Bill,

Good choice on the kayak, I did the same as you. Very stable even when you are standing up on it. Much easier to get out by yourself onto some of the rivers and lakes down the coast. Looks like we got the same trailer, I modified mine a bit though. 

Kayaks.thumb.jpg.d6b64f347c48991193a57890975de512.jpg

Moved from Sydney about 18 months ago. Often fish from Batemans Bay to Merimbula.

J

Hi J 

what a great job with the heavy duty frame to carry a 2nd kayak ( or even a 3rd)

The Hobies look pretty happy on the unit 👍

Ausmarine makes a light duty frame for the 4.2m trailers but from their website it looks to be only strong enough to manage a luggage tray - yours is much more robust and multi functional 

I do intend to fish some of the south coast ( planning for a trip to Tuross ) and will update on my progress 

P.S

Here I was worrying about carrying a spare tyre and you have a spare kayak   😉

Regards Bill 

Bill,

If you get down this way, give me a yell. Always good to catch up fishing and going with someone else increases the safety factor plus the added advantage of local knowledge.

Tuross is a great place to fish, look also to the upper reaches around Trunketabella Lake or there is a ramp where the highway crosses the Tuross River just north of Bodalla.

The second kayak is never spare, always someone I can coax into coming out ……..

J