New (Used) Boat Advice, Please

SmokeOnTheWater

Hi there Raiders, found this wonderful forum a few days ago and have since spent a couple of hours trawling through various topics. 

I'm in the market for my first boat, just something to take the wife and two kids out on for a little fishing and tubing.....prefer an aluminium boat with forward controls. Will only be used in rivers and lakes. 

Wondering if anyone would like to offer an opinion on this boat I have my eye on? 

https://www.boatsales.com.au/boats/details/2005-Brooker-410-SPORTSMAN-RUNABOUT/SSE-AD-5856051?DistFromLoc=2777&pageSource=details&id=SSE-AD-5856051

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Looks to be very tidy. The main thing that will give you grief is the outboard That one looks to be in nice condition, but I guess if you can see how easy it is to start and how it runs, then it makes it easier for you. Second thing that will give you grief is the trailer so have a look around for any rust and see if it is structural. Also check that the lights work, there is a spare wheel and when the bearings were last serviced. Its an easy job to do yourself. If there is no spare, then check out the price for buying one.

Like they said above, see if you can have a test run. They are nice little boats. Make a check list and take it with you. Other non-tangible things I use are, what is the person like that you are dealing with, and what condition do they keep their things in. 

Good luck!

• Like 1

Yep. Worth a look. Similar in size to my last boat, a 4.0m Stacer. I’d poke her nose outside the heads occasionally, too. 😉 Mine had a 25hp Yammy in it. That has a 40, so a bit more grunt and could probably tow a couple of kids on a tube. Definitely try and see it running in the water. Check the hull thoroughly for any holes from electrolysis. Good luck!

• Like 1

The description says tiller steer but that doesn't seem the case from the photos. The price seems a bit high but private sellers often put a bit on for wiggle room.. Also don't overlook the trailer. Look for any rust in the frame, age of the tyres, bearings in good condition, springs OK.

Edited by kingfishbig
  • Like 2

Definnately seems a little high for the price I would offer him a little less and see if he takes it.  Otherwise looks clean.  Also take it for a test drive. Most people are happy to accommodate.  If not then I would be very suspicious.  

• Like 1

My 2c

1. Receipts from service are a good indication of maintenance, if he said he services himself, ask for a parts receipt, otherwise its the usual story, I have a mate who is a Marine Mech and he services it for me. No Proof then it hasn't been done.

2. Trailer, check the undersides of the trailer frame and axle, that's where salt crusts and starts to eat away, take a small hammer and gently give it a tap after asking permission.

3. On water test drive should be easy to arrange, go for a few high speed runs and then idle around for a bit then mid range, to make sure it doesn't get hot., misfire and doesn't stall from flat out to low. Take the cover off and feel the cylinders prior to make sure the engine is cold and hasn't been warmed up prior.

4. Before water test have the boat on a angle downwards like on the ramp and open the Bung make sure its empty and then recheck after the on water test before washing, Offer to help wash it as it allows you to go over the boat and check every thing out.

5. Check what accessories are includes, Life jackets, Anchor, ropes, ear muffs, spare ect.

• Like 1

Wow, thank you all for the replies......HEAPS of valuable information! I hope I'm able to return the favour in the future. 

I was most unsure of the price, though wouldn't have considered offering $7k....but at have a got to lose I guess?! 

Will keep you all updated on the outcome. 

6 hours ago, Fishop said:

Definnately seems a little high for the price I would offer him a little less and see if he takes it.  Otherwise looks clean.  Also take it for a test drive. Most people are happy to accommodate.  If not then I would be very suspicious.  

Thanks Fishop, the lady owner said I could do whatever I like with it, as far as testing goes. 

4 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Find a mate who knows a bit about boats and drag him along, as Jeff said- "serviced by a mate " doesnt cut it. For a 14 year old boat and motor offer 7k

I have a mate who knows a little more than me.....between the two of us we should have about enough boating knowledge to maybe blow our hats off! :

-) 

2 hours ago, deek said:

That's a very generous offer deek........thank you.......but I pulled the trigger today! Ended up paying $7800......probably a little over the odds, but the boat was in amazingly good condition.......48hrs on the motor, has always been garaged, ran well, no sign off corrosion..........trailer was also in great shape. 

Will put some pics up soon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, SmokeOnTheWater said:

Damn, I've read your post about 2 hours to late Rebel! 

Nothing wrong with that little outfit, smaller will often mean you actually get to use it more often simply because it's small and light to tow and so easy to handle. I had a 3.85 quintrex explorer which I towed all over the country, it was just so easy to hitch up and head out that we used it much more than bigger boats we've owned. Even though it was small and incredibly stable I did limit myself to around 5-6km offshore down here on the far NSW coast. Did run out to Montague on good days but the hull shape did mean I could be up for a bumpy ride home if a front moved in quickly. 

The good thing with these well looked after small boats is they hold their money very well compared with most bigger boats. My mate recently sold his 7.5m northbank dropping over $60000 in two years, over that period he used it maybe 10 times. In that same period the same guy was able to use his 4.5m broker most weekends on rivers or close to shore trips with his two young boys. The trouble with his bigger boat was he found it to hard to launch and handle with his two very young boys and other hard core fishers didn't want to go out with him with the youngsters onboard ( they are hard work spoilt little munchers).

All the best with the new boat, hope you get hours of fun and some great memories from it.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, JonD said:

Nothing wrong with that little outfit, smaller will often mean you actually get to use it more often simply because it's small and light to tow and so easy to handle. I had a 3.85 quintrex explorer which I towed all over the country, it was just so easy to hitch up and head out that we used it much more than bigger boats we've owned. Even though it was small and incredibly stable I did limit myself to around 5-6km offshore down here on the far NSW coast. Did run out to Montague on good days but the hull shape did mean I could be up for a bumpy ride home if a front moved in quickly. 

The good thing with these well looked after small boats is they hold their money very well compared with most bigger boats. My mate recently sold his 7.5m northbank dropping over $60000 in two years, over that period he used it maybe 10 times. In that same period the same guy was able to use his 4.5m broker most weekends on rivers or close to shore trips with his two young boys. The trouble with his bigger boat was he found it to hard to launch and handle with his two very young boys and other hard core fishers didn't want to go out with him with the youngsters onboard ( they are hard work spoilt little munchers).

All the best with the new boat, hope you get hours of fun and some great memories from it.

Thanks Jon, make my buyers remorse a little better! Like you, I didn't want anything too big, for a few reasons......limited room in my garage, wanted to easily launch it with my young sons as well, and easy to tow. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, deek said:

Great little buy SOTW. My last boat had a 40hp Yammie, never missed a beat. If you need a name of a mobile mechanic in the Mountains,  give me a shout.

Deek

Thanks Deek, once again, you've eased my buyers remorse! I might take you up on the offer of a good mobile mechanic.......will just work out how to PM you! 

My Dad had a Stacer 414 (4.14m) with a Yamaha 40Hp and it was a excellent boat for Sydney Harbour / and the lakes. It easily pulled a knee boarder and single ski tube.

Enough room for fishing and we even used to go and watch the fireworks on NYE, plenty of great memories.

tip on your first trip:

1. Launch your boat at a quiet ramp mid week, that way no pressure and you can adjust the depth needed to launch and retrieve without stressing.

2. Once the boat is tied up secure (Bungs In), check the trailer over now there isn't a boat on it, lube any rollers, check them for wear and tear, washers and split pins for rust, axle and wheel hubs for damage.

3. Have a spare 5ltr  fuel can as reserve until you know how much fuel it will use in a days trip, don't mix it with 2stroke oil cause you can use it in the car and top it up fresh regularly.

• Like 2