Sign in to follow this  
GoingFishing

Marlin and sea temps

Ok raiders i have the bug......ever since my 1 hr marlin tangle a couple of weeks ago i cant think of anything else other than catching a marlin this summer.

Some questions for those are have the knowledge please !!! 

I have read conflicting reports about marlin and seasurface temp. Apparently blacks like cooler water while stripeys and blues prefer warmer? I guess at the end of the day the fish go where the bait goes. 

The questions is, when looking at seasurface temp charts what kind of water should i be looking for as likely marlin territory? And do the various species of marlin prefer different water temps?

Any charts with mark up to show what u mean would be greatly appreciated !!

Thanks in advance

Edited by GoingFishing

Careful opening this pandoras box mate..........

I have found striped marlin in as little as 18.6 degree water while chasing tuna. I tend to find 24 is about as hot as they tend to like it. with my preferred temp around that 22.6. Striped marlin tend to like clean blue water

Black marlin i have always found in the warmer water from say 22 up. Water colour seems to have less of an affect on blacks than the other two. We've caught them in really green surface water. Its difficult to say whether the water may have been warmer and cleaner underneath.

Blue marlin tend to be about depth and that cobalt blue/purple water and it needs to be hot. Im no expert but i wouldnt bother looking for a blue in anything under 22.5 degrees.

You are 100% correct though, bait is more important than any of the above.

Ripcharts have very good information on their app about how to read the SST's

1 hour ago, New Signing said:

I have found striped marlin in as little as 18.6 degree water while chasing tuna. I tend to find 24 is about as hot as they tend to like it. with my preferred temp around that 22.6. Striped marlin tend to like clean blue water

Black marlin i have always found in the warmer water from say 22 up. Water colour seems to have less of an affect on blacks than the other two. We've caught them in really green surface water. Its difficult to say whether the water may have been warmer and cleaner underneath.

Blue marlin tend to be about depth and that cobalt blue/purple water and it needs to be hot. Im no expert but i wouldnt bother looking for a blue in anything under 22.5 degrees.

22to25c - 16to 19c I have got marlin 

article-1389224-0C2C56FB00000578-427_634x384.jpg

Edited by masterfisho7

Stripes are not that keen on the hot stuff 22-23 is about perfect. Blacks like hot water but dont care if its blue,green or brown as long as there is bait, blues are big and mean - best stay away- they like the deep blue. BUT , bait is everything, dont drive away from it.

8 hours ago, New Signing said:

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

6 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Stripes are not that keen on the hot stuff 22-23 is about perfect. Blacks like hot water but dont care if its blue,green or brown as long as there is bait, blues are big and mean - best stay away- they like the deep blue. BUT , bait is everything, dont drive away from it.

Thanks Paddy

So if i was heading out this weekend, would i best be targetting this current line which appears to be sitting right ontop of the shelf line or the current line sitting in the shallower water.

See below as you can see there are two distinct temp changes one in close (green dash) and one out near or past browns (blue dash)

Screenshot_20190207-172933_Photo Editor.jpg

Target whichever one is holding bait   no bait  no fish  ive caught stripes in green 18.2 and purple 24.5  blacks can be anywhere in same range   blues usually over 22.5  in nice water but i have caught them in 55 fthms off port stephens on bait  if you find slimies  jig some and fish them live    better than lures      if i find bait i use livies or skip baits...good luck...rick

Well- thats the million dollar question, I had a look on another site that i use for temps etc and that indicates that the current will be flying out wider, i would suggest that your best chance will be closer in but see what bait/birds etc are around, weather forecast is a bit dodgy for the weekend so I am waiting until the 4pm forecast to see if I am out tommorrow. The temp charts indicate 23c in close and 25 at the first break then 27.5 a bit wider, the altimetry also indicates a "downwelling" at the warmer current edge, these tend to be hot deserts with purple fast moving water- tends to get very little bait aggregation but you are in with a shot at a blue or big dollie in that sort of water