weld burn

frankS

Just welded up 6 metres of chain ( 2 metre lengths x 3 ) to use as a deterrent for my boat seems as how it is now out on the road, welded up the chain thought I would let the welds cool naturally and started wrapping the chain around a telegraph pole and through the frame of the trailer, where does the fool grab the chain with bare hands ?, you guessed it right on the last link welded. 6 metres and I have to grab the link that is still red hot, 3rd degree burns to the hand, the chain is fine !!!  .

I might just go out to the shed and see what other damage I can do to myself OR machinery.

Frank

• Like 1

Mate been welding and using all sorts of machinery for over 50 years but I still do it, hardly ever wear welding gloves these days as most is T I G or M I G , guess I will never learn. Yes I ran it under cold tap for several minutes, pain eased off now but blisters will sting when they burst.

Frank

Edited by frankS

1 hour ago, frankS said:

Mate been welding and using all sorts of machinery for over 50 years but I still do it, hardly ever wear welding gloves these days as most is T I G or M I G , guess I will never learn. Yes I ran it under cold tap for several minutes, pain eased off now but blisters will sting when they burst.

Frank

4 hours ago, frankS said:

I might just go out to the shed and see what other damage I can do to myself OR machinery.

Frank

So if your going to the shed to use the grinder, chainsaw or drill your not wearing any PPE either I would guess 😏

The emergency departments & internet is full of people who have lost limbs or had their faces ripped off.

Anyway its your body!

Sorry not trying to be argumentative here but just pointing out that having 50 years of experience at anything doesn't negate the fact that the appropriate PPE's should be used when carrying out such tasks!

Whats the saying with boating, never turn your back on the sea!

Same sort of thing right?

Edited by kingie chaser

Kingie, you're absolutely right having experience in anything doesn't mean you do things right, safety wise I'm sorta half way there, I do wear safety glasses make sure there are no inflamables near sparks etc but I am a bit slack as far as wearing gloves, sometimes wear thin T I G gloves when I think of it but usually run the gauntlet for feel, guess I will never learn and burn myself often, sucker for punishment I guess.

Frank

Neil. Think I got things sorted with the motor, cleaned plugs and found loose earth connection, adjusted high speed lever etc. Motor runs really well on flusher, so will see what happens next time I put it in the water. Still going to clean carby etc when this weather cools a bit.

Frank

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Neil. Think I got things sorted with the motor, cleaned plugs and found loose earth connection, adjusted high speed lever etc. Motor runs really well on flusher, so will see what happens next time I put it in the water. Still going to clean carby etc when this weather cools a bit.

Frank

Good luck Frank. You definitely deserve to get out on the water and into a few fish. Sending a pm. Neil