Rod Repair

Rebel

Hi All,

I have been given an old ABU GARCIA beach rod. The tip has green corrosion on it. Can somebody advise me what to clean it with.

Also I have another rod which I inherited, it has a broken tip. Does anybody repair rods on the Central Coast ? I would appreciate your help.

Cheers.

It would probably be better to just replace the tip. Take it into your local tackle store, to buy the right size tip. A bit of heat should loosen the glue and you remove the old tip guide. Then just fit the new tip guide with a hit glue gun. Most table stores will do it for you but it’s eady enough to do yourself.

Hi Berleyguts,

Thanks for the info. The rod tip is broken at the first eyelet. So I will have to take that off and fit the new tip or cut the rod and get rid of the eyelet and fit the new tip. I haven't got a heat gun, so I will have to find somebody to repair it. Once again thanks for your help.

Cheers.

36 minutes ago, Rebel said:

Hi Berleyguts,

Thanks for the info. The rod tip is broken at the first eyelet. So I will have to take that off and fit the new tip or cut the rod and get rid of the eyelet and fit the new tip. I haven't got a heat gun, so I will have to find somebody to repair it. Once again thanks for your help.

Cheers.

Is it broken at the tip runner or the first one down from the tip? If the latter, it’s pretty simple... just remove the binding and epoxy finish, sandy lightly and clean, then glue the new tip on. I used to use Araldite but now I just use the glue stick you can buy where you buy your guides and heat it with a cigarette lighter.

A cigarette lighter can also be used to heat up the glue on the old tip runner for removal.