90 HP Mercury

sydney south

12 hours ago, Jewhunter said:

Don't buy anything with a black anchor...

Isn't that a reputation from around 20-30 years ago. 

Im seeing more and more mercury outboards on comercial boats because of their better economy, strong gearboxes and often better initial pricing. 

My daughter was given a 9.9 2 stroke merc from an elderly gentleman she gives a lobster to each week, this engine has no signs of corrosion what so ever. When you compare that with a few other outboards I've owned I would rank mercury high on my list.

Back to the op, how old is the boat and engine ? Any details on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonD said:

Isn't that a reputation from around 20-30 years ago. 

Im seeing more and more mercury outboards on comercial boats because of their better economy, strong gearboxes and often better initial pricing. 

My daughter was given a 9.9 2 stroke merc from an elderly gentleman she gives a lobster to each week, this engine has no signs of corrosion what so ever. When you compare that with a few other outboards I've owned I would rank mercury high on my list.

Back to the op, how old is the boat and engine ? Any details on it.

Brand new outfit. Getting prices from one dealer that deal's in  Etec's and the other Mercury 4 strokes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sydney south said:

Brand new outfit. Getting prices from one dealer that deal's in  Etec's and the other Mercury 4 strokes.

Personaly I wouldn't have any concerns buying one. My daughter's boyfriends father is an outboard mechanic but now runs one of the biggest abalone boats out of Mallacoota, a big cat with twin merc's.  He loves them as they have better gearboxes for handling the constant gear changes involved with working with divers on hookah.

Today I was driving an Eden craft owned by another outboard mechanic who owns two comercial boats ( and an urchin buisness), one with a 150hp merc and the other which I drove today with a 225 Yam. He's never had any issue with his merc and also rates them highly, saying that he prefers Yam but the cost of them is normally higher. By the way he is a Yamaha mechanic. 

• Thanks 1