Wyangala Dam

T_Bert83

I’ve heard from a few people lately Wyangala is very hit and miss at the moment and from the 2 recent outings I’ve had I have to agree. 

1st outing a couple of weeks ago I started the day at first light fishing swimbaits. Small fish jumped all around which was a good sign that something bigger wouldn’t be far away but no luck. 

As the sun started to rise fishing a relatively featureless bank I had a cod roughly 80cm follow a glidebait to the boat only to turn away at the last second. Feeling I wasn’t covering the depth of water I was fishing efficiently I changed it up to a deep diving crankbait with almost immediate success. In the next hour I missed 2 and landed 2 cod roughly 70-75cm. 

Things slowed after that until I landed another cod roughly 65cm came from a shallow timbered area on a Jackall Gantia. 

Satisfied with the day and a large storm closing in fast I called it a day. 

Now I experienced the frustrating side of Wyangala Dam. Once again I started fishing well before the sun came up in an area I had noticed a lot of bait on my previous trip. I threw swimbaits, glidebaits , crankbaits and large chatterbait (basically all my go to lures) for hours without sighting a fish. 

Thinking the low barometer and recent crazy storm activity may have shut down the fish I changed things up to small spinner baits, lipless crankbaits and small swimbaits. This bought about the only action I saw for the day which was a 65cm cod follow a Jackall Gantarel to the boat only to turn away. Never looked like it wanted to eat it to be honest. 

This was 10:30am and I continued to fish till 2pm with no sign of another fish before once again I was chased off the lake by storms. 

With the thermocline sitting 6-8m I spent a lot of time casting at that depth but fished from 3-10m. The one fish I did see came from 4m.

After such a day I’m keener than every to get back and try get into them again.

Cheers,

Trav

Edited by T_Bert83
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, rickmarlin62 said:

Great report  planning to go there this year   hope it improves

I’ve found it hard fishing the times I would like with young kids and work but the lake definitely has a lot to offer when you strike the right conditions.

I fish it a lot so let me know when you are going I’ll try help you out. 

Edited by T_Bert83

8 minutes ago, Berleyguts said:

Great report. I used to love fishing Wyangala! How low is the water in the dam? The last time I fished it years ago, it was less than 5%.

It is a great dam mate one of my favourites. The dam is sitting around 37% at the moment hope it gets nowhere near 5% any time soon. 

• Like 1