LBG - Jervis Bay

Ragnar

Hey guys,

Just seeing if anyone would be interested in going out for a land based session around the Jervis Bay area chasing Kings or other pelagics. I’ve never fished there before, but have read a bit about it on here. Someone with a bit of local knowledge would be a bonus but not fussed if you don’t, just be good to get out there and have a crack!

cheers 🤙🏻

I recall reading years ago that point perpendicular was one of the only places.in australia that.you could baloon live bait for Marlin?

Not.sure if thats true or not but you may still be.able to fish from there although I here its a bit of a hike in through the national park?

Not sure.but you may even need permission to enter as I think its an aboriginal reserve? ?

49 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

I recall reading years ago that point perpendicular was one of the only places.in australia that.you could baloon live bait for Marlin?

Not.sure if thats true or not but you may still be.able to fish from there although I here its a bit of a hike in through the national park?

Not sure.but you may even need permission to enter as I think its an aboriginal reserve? ?

Marlin are a possibility there and back in the day I was lucky enough to land an 78kg black from Eaves Ravine. Torpedo Tubes is the most popular marlin platform but the crowds are absolutely ridiculous at this time of year.

Permission is not required to fish anywhere on the north side of the bay however there is an area of coast closed to fishing around Devils Gorge and sometimes the road to the Torpedo Tubes is closed due to Naval bombing practice.

The only area on the south side of the bay people are discouraged of entering is the indigenous township of Wreck Bay. You are free to fish most places in Booderee National Park but there are a few sanctuary zones, so do your homework before heading out.

Saw lots of cracking fish landed and lost at The Tubes in my juniour fishing days circa 1970-80's. We as juniours would burley up and catch Trevaley around the 1-2kg mark to be used as live bait. I remember watching a huge Hammerhead Shark zeroing in on a large livebait under a balloon with it's dorsal fin zig zagging in on the bait then disappearing and then laumching itself fully out of the water and then the fight was on. 45 minutes later it was along side the rock platform all 3 metres of it. Those were the days. Rocks I can't do anymore. Beecroft Head was also good for live baiting and spinning with lots of good size Kingfish being lost up close as there seem to be an underwater cave right at our feet. Also off the high end of Beecroft as you use to walk onto the spot was good for big Snapper but 80-100m casts were necessary. I remember being there over Easter when an East Coast Low system came down the coast. The seas were HUGE !!! Some of our club members had camped in the cave at this spot. We walked in ,in the morning and just watched the ocean. Like I said it was HUGE. No good for fishing so we met up with the campers and were all sitting and chatting and having coffee then out wide we could see a really big set building up and up and up.......a couple of the more senior guys became very quiet as we watched then the water level at the shoreline just started to drop and drop as this massive swell out wide just kept growing. We all then started hastilly moving to higher ground. The next couple of minutes was the biggest water I've ever seen moving in all over Beecroft Head even well over the high point. The "splash" ended up higher than the cliff face. All the gear in the cave was washed out into the ocean, takle boxes, sleeping bags, tents and tarps. anything that was loose was smashed into pieces, rods, reels, BBQ's. Everybody was safe and unhurt. To this day I still think about what could have been if our group decided not to go out to the spot. There was every probability that the group in the cave would have still been in there. Been back many times since and caught many good fish but the memory still lingers.

Jim...

• Like 2