Dual electric outboards

pugzthugz

Me and some mate are going to buy an 11ft tinny for some inshore fishing catching anything from bread and butter species to small game. How fast would we move with an electric motor with 44lbs of thrust? How much faster would we move with two of those?

Cheers - Pugz 

Guest Guest123456789

I’d guess 4 knots with one (walking pace) and 8 knots with two.

Cant say I’ve seen a dual electric set up, it sounds pretty awesome.

the electrics are a lot quieter but do still spook the fish, can i ask why not look at a double kayak instead?

15 minutes ago, flatheadluke said:

I’d guess 4 knots with one (walking pace) and 8 knots with two.

Cant say I’ve seen a dual electric set up, it sounds pretty awesome.

the electrics are a lot quieter but do still spook the fish, can i ask why not look at a double kayak instead?

We do have and use kayaks, however, we also want a way of moving us and our gear to low access landbased spots to add a bit of flexibility to some shark fishing. Thx for the reply :)

23 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

Why not a petrol motor? Electrics are usually used for sneaking around and not as the main form of propulsion.  The battery life/ range is a limiting factor.

We would rather not use a petrol motor because of the costs of gas, we would rather get to places more slowly for cheaper. Thx for reply

2 hours ago, pugzthugz said:

We would rather not use a petrol motor because of the costs of gas, we would rather get to places more slowly for cheaper. Thx for reply

Electric is going to be VERY slow going. Much better to get a small petrol engine. Fuel costs hardly anything for one of those if you get a four. 

• Thanks 1

I once seen a tinnie with 4 electric motors on the transom in Port Hacking, have no idea how he controlled all 4 at once in sinc. But he was moving along quiet nicely.

Small 1.8hp or slightly bigger would cost bugger all in fuel and probably less than the electricity it takes to charge the battery's several times, think about the cost after a few years of charging the battery's.

Frank

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, pugzthugz said:

But the advantage of a boat is so you can move around, I am not sure why you would want to give that mobility away. Even a 15 hp on that boat will use very little fuel on a trip. Also deep cycle batteries aren't cheap and have to be replaced.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kingfishbig said:

But the advantage of a boat is so you can move around, I am not sure why you would want to give that mobility away. Even a 15 hp on that boat will use very little fuel on a trip. Also deep cycle batteries aren't cheap and have to be replaced.

This- a small outboard - 6hp will move an 11ft tinnie no probs is going to be cheaper to run that an electric, batteries will kill the economics !

32 minutes ago, kingfishbig said:

There are still some 2 strokes for sale from the last shipment allowed into the country. Including a very good clearance price on a Parsun 15hp. This would be an idea size for your boat with 2 on board. 

Only if the driver has a license, 15 hp will push a 11ft tinny well over 10knots

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Sounds like these a re a bunch of mates trying to do it on the cheap so the added cost of license/rego bigger motor etc etc is something only they can judge- im just trying to give them info

The price I saw on the Parsun 15hp would probably come under the cost of 2  x 42lb electric motors and 2 deep cycle batteries. Boat licences and rego are pretty cheap.

• Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 4:47 PM, Rebel said:

Hi,

Ring Dinga Fishing at Sandgate. He will look after you with an Electric motor. Tell him you are a Fishraider member. Dinga delivers for free Australia wide.

Cheers.

Thanks for the reminder about Dinga!... I ordered a new electric from them today and got the Fishraider discount 🙂