First boat info

smc2010

Hi raiders so I'm getting myself my first boat this weekend and I have just a few questions. Long story short I'm getting a little 14ft boat and engine and trailer. What questions should I be asking the guy I'm buying from? And what should I be looking for defect/damage wise? He seems like a legitimate guy and genuine, I have no reason to doubt him but I want to be put in the right direction as to not buy something that I might regret. I'm assuming I should be asking if boat has ever been damaged or repaired, if the engine has ever giving bother but what are the do's and donts when buying a boat? All help and advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Regards 

sean.

48 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Lots of topics have already been posted and responded to on this already mate and its a very long list !!!!!

Is it alloy or fibreglass? 

Alloy mate yes I have read threw a few posts already, I was just asking again I'm sure there are members here who don't mind repeating themselves to teach a newbie, or new members with new information cheers anyways.

sean 

Once you have a read feel free to ask some specific questions and we will help out where we can.

Boats are like Buses if you miss this one another will pop up in a day or two.

so I guess I’m saying don’t rush and make sure you do a water test not just on the ear muff.

Edited by jeffb5.8
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jeffb5.8 said:

Once you have a read feel free to ask some specific questions and we will help out where we can.

Boats are like Buses if you miss this one another will pop up in a day or two.

so I guess I’m saying don’t rush and make sure you do a water test not just on the ear muff.

Thanks Jeff 

10 hours ago, frankS said:

Where abouts are you and where is the boat in question ?. Perhaps I could come along with you and check a few things out, I'm not licenced boat inspector but I have bought and have had a few in my day.

Frank

Such a very generous offer frank im located in Sydney mate around Waterloo area, the boat is In same area 

4 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Frank's offer is very generous BUT a few obvious questions; whats the boat? , make sure you do a REV's check<, used boat market is very competitive so dont buy the first thing you see>

I probably should organise a revs check alright thanks paddy 

1. Parking and Storing the boat (Where and how can you store it safely, especially with COuncils trying to fine boats that don't move

2. Service records, no proof then it hasn't been done, so factor in a service into the price

3. water test the boat

4. You have what they want $$$ he has what you want, So the deal is a two way street

5. Look at welds and any scrapes on the underside

6. How old is the motor, is it corroded, is it cold when started, how many hours if known, is it rated the correct HP for the Hull,

7. HIN (Hull Identification Number) is need to register the boat, if it doesn't have one it will cost $250 from memory to get one.

8. It suits you now but what about in 12mths, will it be big enough, wide enough, deep enough

9. What accessories / Safety gear does it come with, will you need to buy anything which will make it more $$$ and might be on the same level as another boat which has all the accessories.

10. Is it all registered

11. How is the trailer condition, wheel bearing changed? receipts for service, leaf springs in good condition, take a small hammer and tap the under sides of the frame and axle to see if its almost rusted through.

12. Tyres on trailer, how old are they (Might look brand new but be 20yrs old, Check for cracks, first trip on main road and get a blow out tyres have a date code stamped on them to check tyre year. Does it have a spare

13. Can your vehicle tow it safely

14. Winch and winch wire / rope are they is good condition, Lights on trailer work

That should get you started.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

Whats the boat? And the price?

I'm not 100% on the boat make but it's a 14ft ally it will come on a trailer and with a 40hp Suzuki. Engine is clean looking from outside and a lowrance sounder didn't ask the model of sounder  he's looking 2k for it, reason for getting rid of it is two grandsons in the last while and hasn't the same time to use it and has caught people trying to steal the motor and battery etc and he just wants rid of it 

Edited by smc2010

15 minutes ago, jeffb5.8 said:

1. Parking and Storing the boat (Where and how can you store it safely, especially with COuncils trying to fine boats that don't move

2. Service records, no proof then it hasn't been done, so factor in a service into the price

3. water test the boat

4. You have what they want $$$ he has what you want, So the deal is a two way street

5. Look at welds and any scrapes on the underside

6. How old is the motor, is it corroded, is it cold when started, how many hours if known, is it rated the correct HP for the Hull,

7. HIN (Hull Identification Number) is need to register the boat, if it doesn't have one it will cost $250 from memory to get one.

8. It suits you now but what about in 12mths, will it be big enough, wide enough, deep enough

9. What accessories / Safety gear does it come with, will you need to buy anything which will make it more $$$ and might be on the same level as another boat which has all the accessories.

10. Is it all registered

11. How is the trailer condition, wheel bearing changed? receipts for service, leaf springs in good condition, take a small hammer and tap the under sides of the frame and axle to see if its almost rusted through.

12. Tyres on trailer, how old are they (Might look brand new but be 20yrs old, Check for cracks, first trip on main road and get a blow out tyres have a date code stamped on them to check tyre year. Does it have a spare

13. Can your vehicle tow it safely

14. Winch and winch wire / rope are they is good condition, Lights on trailer work

That should get you started.

Mate that is exactly the list I was after I have some of them covered and taught of but a few useful ones in there thank you so much Jeff 

• Like 1

Wow for 2K don't expect the queen mary!!! If the motor is a good one that alone would be worth 2K .

I have an old Brooker 14 ' and 30hp merc on old trailer and it looks like a piece of crap ( outside ) but IF I was to sell it I would be asking more than 2K.

You have my interest and I would like to see what is on offer for 2k. Would love to see photos if possible.

Frank

6 minutes ago, frankS said:

Wow for 2K don't expect the queen mary!!! If the motor is a good one that alone would be worth 2K .

I have an old Brooker 14 ' and 30hp merc on old trailer and it looks like a piece of crap ( outside ) but IF I was to sell it I would be asking more than 2K.

You have my interest and I would like to see what is on offer for 2k. Would love to see photos if possible.

Frank

It does seem to good to be true boat on first glance seems to be ok and integrally ok and yes he said the Motor worth 4K new. I'm not sure what the  catch is. The story is I pass the boat couple times a week parked outside a house and one day I seen old mate in the garden and popped in asking would he sell it or even take me out fishing😂😂 maybe 6 months later he messaged saying he wants it all gone 2k 

regards 

sean 

Edited by smc2010
  • Like 1

The motor NEW would be around 7K if pull start tiller and around 8 k if key start and remote steer with tilt etc. Seems like the guy doesn't really know the value of what he has got. OR it's an old riveted boat with old motor etc. Anyway I would help you decide if it's what you want. Just PM me your details and let me know when you want to go.

We used to call the old Suzuki's ENO cause they disolved in water.

Frank

• Like 1

1 minute ago, frankS said:

The motor NEW would be around 7K if pull start tiller and around 8 k if key start and remote steer with tilt etc. Seems like the guy doesn't really know the value of what he has got. OR it's an old riveted boat with old motor etc. Anyway I would help you decide if it's what you want. Just PM me your details and let me know when you want to go.

We used to call the old Suzuki's ENO cause they disolved in water.

Frank

Will send you a message now thanks very much frank,

regards 

sean

10 minutes ago, dunc333 said:

sounds like a good deal to me. post some pics once she is in your name sean and welcome

Cheers mate I have a couple of screenshots from a video but they are poor quality as I can't upload the video here IMG_2182.thumb.PNG.9762df1e83cb4481654dd7615d7fb28c.PNG

IMG_2184.JPG

• Like 1