GME GX750 Marine Radio Problems

GoingFishing

Gday Raiders

During my last trip the radio seems to have shat itself.

It seems I cannot transmit or receive signals, I tried a couple of radio tests to marine rescue which went unanswered. When using the scan function the radio does not find any channels, when squelch is open I get a phenominal amount of static, even when I reduce the squelch setting down to its very minimum the amount of static remains the same.

Any ideas as to what could have gone wrong? Want to try to fix it myself before having to put down $$ unnecessarily to get it fixed.

Thanks

Sam

First thing I would be checking is the antenna and lead, connections ( sometimes get salt in them and guck up ) . I would be borrowing a antenna and try.

Anyone on the site got one to lend for a test. I don't have one, if I did you could use it.

Frank

Edited by frankS
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, frankS said:

First thing I would be checking is the antenna and lead, connections ( sometimes get salt in them and guck up ) . I would be borrowing a antenna and try.

Anyone on the site got one to lend for a test. I don't have one, if I did you could use it.

Frank

Thanks Frank

I will check the antenna and lead cables tonight after work and report back thanks Frank

How old is it- also have you tried on high power or accidently flicked the switch to low? They have a lifespan to them- dials tend to get clogged with salt and crap and corrode. It could be time for a new one as the squelch knob is probabaly dead. But do all the basics first like pull all your leads out , polish them with a bit of contact cleaner and see if that helps

11 minutes ago, PaddyT said:

How old is it- also have you tried on high power or accidently flicked the switch to low? They have a lifespan to them- dials tend to get clogged with salt and crap and corrode. It could be time for a new one as the squelch knob is probabaly dead. But do all the basics first like pull all your leads out , polish them with a bit of contact cleaner and see if that helps

Purchased the boat new Nov 2017. So its only about 15 months old. Thanks for the advice il start with the basics and go from there.

Ps do you think if i did a radio test from home marine rescue will receive ? im in the western suburbs parramatta area

Edited by GoingFishing

Ok sounds a bit new to be badly corroded- i just replaced a 6 yr old one on my boat which is a center console and I abused the crab out of it and eventually the microphone cord wore through- radio itself was ok but couldnt adjust squelch any more- see if you can pull the squelch knob off and check if the post still turns- marine VHF is line of sight, I doubt you will get a pick up- maybe of the repeater (VHF 21) but unlikely