varnish for rod repairs ,

leonardgid

Hi there everyone  , i have  about seven rods  with missing tips and/or rod guides    that i would like to repair  but  being  old and of very little  value i do not want to buy   anything expensive  to cover the threads  with  , my question is  to  those of you that have done  this before    can ordinary  wood varnish  do the job  or do i have to get  marine grade varnish ,  thank you for your reply .

2 hours ago, leonardgid said:

Hi there everyone  , i have  about seven rods  with missing tips and/or rod guides    that i would like to repair  but  being  old and of very little  value i do not want to buy   anything expensive  to cover the threads  with  , my question is  to  those of you that have done  this before    can ordinary  wood varnish  do the job  or do i have to get  marine grade varnish ,  thank you for your reply .

if you just want to get them back to functional and don't care so much about looks, I'd go for a few coast of filler on the bindings followed by a few coats of rod varnish, Available from most tackle shops and not expensive.