mercury 6hp tilt ?

frankS

Hi guys I am playing around with a 6hp 1999 mercury 2 stroke which I want to fit to a 12 foot punt I have laying around. I have had this motor for a while but never had it on any boat. I started it the other day and it runs well. I can't for the life of me figure out how to work the tilt, I have been playing around with it for hours and somehow I now have it locked in the shallow drive position but have no idea what I done to get it there. I know it has something to do with this round knob and I think it may have to be in forward gear ( sounds strange ) could it be missing a lever or something. Google or Utube are no help as it keeps showing me tilt for large motors which has nothing to do with what I ask for, OR haw to change a spark plug etc.

Surely there is someone out there that can help me in some way?. Not often I have to ask for help but this has me stuffed.

579693341_mercurytilt1.thumb.jpg.670bcd49c2ddf5f242774cf6b9e40a4a.jpg953672983_mercurytilt2.thumb.jpg.b09214098e0148b65419c61c8302a201.jpg

Frank

The knob is quiet easy to pull out and move to positions 1 2or 3 but it doesn't appear to do anything, the black lever must work in conjunction with the knob but nothing happens, I'm guess there is something missing, but I can't work out what, maybe have to turn motor upside down so I can get a good look to see the workings of it.

Frank

we have 5hp 4stroke merc on a sailing boat .pain in the arse ,we need to put in foward gear to to move and then hard to lock in the up postion .i just jiggle everthing and she locks up in the up postion while im hanging over the back doing 10 knots or more so much fun not lol