Ripcharts

GoingFishing

I think if you are interested in it, will use it at least semi regularly and have the cash to spare then it is worth it.

I have one and think it is great when i am actually able to get out. You really need to look at it several times a week whether you are going fishing or not just to keep track of what the water is doing where and compare that to what reports are coming in. Also don't assume you are going to be able to get clear scans everyday you want one. More often than not cloud cover is an issue and i end up looking at the Multi Resolution Blend image which is a blend of a few scans over past days. You will also want to learn to understand what and how Altimetry works and how that relates to the currents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

Gday Raiders

Does anyone have a current ripcharts account?

I am thinking of signing up for a 1 year prescription but it isnt cheap so would love to hear from those who have used it and whether you find it useful.

Thanks

Sam

Its worth it Sam- gamefishing aint cheap and this is just one small part of the cost

• Like 1

There are free water temp charts if you search, unfortunately I don't remember them but they were pointed out to us on marine science seminars (government sites).

I find Im able to use enough free info from http://www.fishtrack.com/fishing-charts/new-south-wales_58651 for my offshore needs. I have considered upgrading to their full version but don't see the point if this works as it is.

Simply move the chart with your mouse to grab the gps numbers on the edge of the temp breaks etc.

_JDP4906.thumb.jpg.a5d3247b68d626e7d3eca41253cd41c0.jpg

Edited by JonD
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Spanner said:

I think if you are interested in it, will use it at least semi regularly and have the cash to spare then it is worth it.

I have one and think it is great when i am actually able to get out. You really need to look at it several times a week whether you are going fishing or not just to keep track of what the water is doing where and compare that to what reports are coming in. Also don't assume you are going to be able to get clear scans everyday you want one. More often than not cloud cover is an issue and i end up looking at the Multi Resolution Blend image which is a blend of a few scans over past days. You will also want to learn to understand what and how Altimetry works and how that relates to the currents.

I definately get out often enough to make it worth while.....during summer its weather dependant but id say almost every weekend. Winter...well..my body doesnt agree with 6am starts in freezing cold !!

2 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Its worth it Sam- gamefishing aint cheap and this is just one small part of the cost

Thanks Paddy !! Understood.

I have noticed gamefishing isnt cheap... the problem is i keep telling my wife that it is...eventually the truth will be uncovered hahaha

55 minutes ago, JonD said:

There are free water temp charts if you search, unfortunately I don't remember them but they were pointed out to us on marine science seminars (government sites).

I find Im able to use enough free info from http://www.fishtrack.com/fishing-charts/new-south-wales_58651 for my offshore needs. I have considered upgrading to their full version but don't see the point if this works as it is.

Simply move the chart with your mouse to grab the gps numbers on the edge of the temp breaks etc.

_JDP4906.thumb.jpg.a5d3247b68d626e7d3eca41253cd41c0.jpg

Thanks Jon

I currently use Fishtrack and find it is reasonably accurate. I also cross reference this against the info on BOM website such as meteye and current charts.

The good think about ripcharts is how often the information is updated and the granular layers which can be overlaid on temp charts.

Another free one that goes well with fishtrack is oceancurrent.imos.gov.au   go to sea surface map and click on square that is relevant, the smaller square near Sydney is best one for the area from seal rocks to about  Nowra, the map also does the whole of Australia, good for anyone doing a road trip 

• Like 1

Bom gov au has a good 7day wind forecast for the whole of NSW which I find pretty accurate in 3 hour increments with wind direction and strength “marine wind forecast “ & if you hit the small square it gives you a 3 day forecast for broken bay to Botany Bay, very helpful for smaller boats heading offshore or to the shelf