mrsswordfisherman

Anyone done a "lap" - who has a caravan?

Recommended Posts

Thanks for your information. 

We are just out of Darwin and Sooty Grunters are the go so far. Barra to come and some sailfish off Broome. We have not missed the boat so far really. 

Its a big old country isn’t it. Hopefully a few fishing reports to come. 

Here are a few fun snaps - our trip route, a sooty, thermal springs in Mataranka, Daly Waters Pub (not to be missed) and swordie cooking bbq with fly net on. The flies at Banka Banka campground almost carried us away :)

F04A16BA-35A6-492B-BB07-D00C7F50EE29.jpeg

930158CD-1183-4330-8C3C-EE97633D498D.jpeg724C11DF-7FB1-4497-9D80-7578457922D0.jpegAA72BC0E-2840-4EEE-828F-E297950E52E5.jpeg44448AD4-5FFF-4D85-92F1-9D4280740E7A.jpeg6B2AEF57-5BB7-434F-9D8D-E0A31F90BCBD.jpeg

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How much fun are the flies!  It is a big place with some great locations and characters you meet along the way.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Daly waters Pub is amazing, did you guys end up staying the night apparently they really know how to party there, Kununurra is worth having a look around like the hidden valley & you might be able to snare a Barra or to at the base of the argyle dam or at the Ivanhoe crossing & if you’ve got a prawn net you could spotlight for cherabin     (freshwater prawns) on the opposite side of the crossing in the reeds upstream, Exmouth is another great fishy place, we camped south of yardie creek & caught spangled emporer to 10lb off the shore & an array of other fish including all sorts of trevally. How good is our country 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know if you have a car topper or not, but we parked our van out at the Mango Farm caravan park at the Daly River and caught barra there. Lots of big crocs in the water so you need to be aware, especially at the boat ramp when retrieving the boat. Try not to park under a mango tree though - fruit bat poo is hard to clean off the van.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

The Daly waters Pub is amazing, did you guys end up staying the night apparently they really know how to party there, Kununurra is worth having a look around like the hidden valley & you might be able to snare a Barra or to at the base of the argyle dam or at the Ivanhoe crossing & if you’ve got a prawn net you could spotlight for cherabin     (freshwater prawns) on the opposite side of the crossing in the reeds upstream, Exmouth is another great fishy place, we camped south of yardie creek & caught spangled emporer to 10lb off the shore & an array of other fish including all sorts of trevally. How good is our country 

Yes we stayed a couple of nights there and had a ball. Some entertainers from Nimbin a duo, followed by The Chookman. Swam in the pool during the day out the back of the pub. Insane place.

We are about to go into Kakadu and looking for barra up near Cahills' Crossing. It is like another world and veryyyyyy hot. We will go to Kununurra, Broome and Exmouth etc and head down to Perth. It s a big place and yes how good is our country!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you travel the Arnhem Hwy after Jabiru, keep in mind Shady Camp for land base Barra. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Billmack said:

If you travel the Arnhem Hwy after Jabiru, keep in mind Shady Camp for land base Barra. 

That is a possibility as we are headed towards Darwin tomorrow along Arnhem Hwy. Swordie had some luck yesterday with a nice Saratoga and some barras caught on the charter he went on yesterday. The guide said they only get about 2 or 3 a year!

61661456_694422221009677_6717050060321849344_n.jpg61210898_622731058202600_2120324710066552832_n.jpg61439547_2310128782642559_7364545229489176576_n.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome work swordies! 😎

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shady Camp is a few klms of gravel road off the highway and can get a bit crowded, but worth a run in just to see it, if nothing else.

041.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Killer said:

Shady Camp is a few klms of gravel road off the highway and can get a bit crowded, but worth a run in just to see it, if nothing else.

041.jpg

Wowee crowded yes but Thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Killer said:

Shady Camp is a few klms of gravel road off the highway and can get a bit crowded, but worth a run in just to see it, if nothing else.

041.jpg

Been there myself and there’s no way I’d be standing there! 🐊 

You can fish either side of the weir but one side is tidal and the other is not! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scratchie said:

Been there myself and there’s no way I’d be standing there! 🐊 

You can fish either side of the weir but one side is tidal and the other is not! 

This guy was 20m away on the freshwater side of that crossing. Don't want to use Swordies thread to post pics. Last one :) 

044.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Killer said:

This guy was 20m away on the freshwater side of that crossing. Don't want to use Swordies thread to post pics. Last one :) 

044.jpg

No way you will get us anywhere near that. 

Better places to fish ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Killer said:

 

041.jpg

 

A crocodile snack bar.  :074:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 4:44 PM, Yowie said:

 

A crocodile snack bar.  :074:

Its known as a buffet I think 😂

 

Great looking trip Donna!

 

Im tempted to throw in a handy link on how to get ready for a trip like this that would help members  & more importantly with a boat in tow but I know it will get pulled.

Still unsure why this site isn't allowing links??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kingie chaser said:

Its known as a buffet I think 😂

 

Great looking trip Donna!

 

Im tempted to throw in a handy link on how to get ready for a trip like this that would help members  & more importantly with a boat in tow but I know it will get pulled.

Still unsure why this site isn't allowing links??

Why will it get pulled? Links are allowed if they don't breach any site rules. You having probs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a huge amount of expert and other traveller info in groups on fb. We have spent about 2 years researching and preparing. Still learning every day. Just sharing a few things. 

Still travelling - did a bit on the Gibb River Rd it is VERY dry out here. Hardly any water in gorges, waterfalls, creeks. Very sad to see. Fishing is tough in most places. 

34D6EB1E-C3E2-4922-B300-FB2CCAC96840.jpeg61A762DF-6AE7-4BD0-A29E-0AC40832447D.jpegCE3E15F6-F452-4F46-9395-52ECB6D1CCF4.jpeg96790845-2A3D-4846-A7B5-F334293C38EF.jpeg7717C6D7-FF72-491E-8C8F-23BEB5B44F7F.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      64,384
    • Total Posts
      514,433