Blue swimmer crabs

mowie1

Hi  just putting this out there the size on blue swimmer crabs .The size is rather small(6cm) and the taking of females (jennys )without eggs. I have seen a real decline in crab numbers in the past few years. My self put back all females( jennys breading stock) plus small males. Increase the size on males and no take on all females( jennys )  I love a feed of crabs (chilli , plain boiled etc). What do you think.

Can you advise what system you fish for them to explain your observation of decline? What technique were you using to catch your crabs (scooping spotlighting/hoop nets or others/handlines etc? How many did you use to catch per style of fishing compared to now over what period of decline? What type of bait has that been consistent?

I've actually found an increase in returns.

location: Lake Illawarra , 4 lift crab pots not hats & 2 crab traps , Bait :chicken necks & fish frames  ,  Decline: past 3 to 4 years ,both my neighbour's plus a couple of friends on the other side of lake say the same all good fisho"s , Size: numbers and time to catch (used to get 8-10 in 4hrs) now only half as many in 6hrs. Have used same 3 spots for years before with good success , others use some different spots. Same outcome

It is a quiet year this season, last year there was heaps, and big ones too, but this season I am still getting my bag limit, it just takes longer, I don't use witches hat nets or traps, just the lift nets, use fresh bait, never had much success with chicken (it's OK when there is crabs everywhere) Flathead frames and Whiting seem to go the best, don't leave them too long before you check them, been crabbing in Lake Illawarra for over 30 years.

We handline in Brisbane Waters and have heared multiple reports of bagging out in an hour recently. Had a go on the weekend and got 9 in about 3 hours. We use mullet fillets because the skin is tough and they dont like letting it go.

I remember reading somewhere the blues can go from egg to legal in 6 months. If this is true your numbers can bounce back very quickly.

Best of luck