Stinger/assist hooks on blades/vibes

Foreversnagged

Hi guys, 

I've recently bought some budget ebay blades for basic estuary fishing. Thinking about removing the (likely cheap) trebles and adding on some stinger hooks, similar to the ecogear zx blades. 

Has anyone tried this out and had success? What strength braid would you use to tie on the hooks, I was thinking about 15lb. Also does the braid you use to tie the hooks on need to be quality stuff? Was thinking about buying bulk multicolour braid off ebay so I can use it for different coloured lures. 

Thanks and tight lines 😁

I tie my stingers on either 30 or 50lb braid, more for durability rather than strength. Flathead teeth can be really savage on braid. I just use old braid that I've replaced on a reel and discard the first 70 metres or so that's already done the hard work. I don't think the quality has to be all that great as long as its easy to work with and holds a good knot. I would avoid fused braids like fireline as I reckon they're too stiff to make a good assist setup.

For adding colour I just add a couple of the rubber dangly bits off an old spinnerbait skirt but some guys just use rubber bands. 

32 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

I tie my stingers on either 30 or 50lb braid, more for durability rather than strength. Flathead teeth can be really savage on braid. I just use old braid that I've replaced on a reel and discard the first 70 metres or so that's already done the hard work. I don't think the quality has to be all that great as long as its easy to work with and holds a good knot. I would avoid fused braids like fireline as I reckon they're too stiff to make a good assist setup.

For adding colour I just add a couple of the rubber dangly bits off an old spinnerbait skirt but some guys just use rubber bands. 

Thanks for the reply,

I bought some rubber skirts for a couple of bucks off ebay. I would have never thought to go that heavy but makes sense. 

Would you still suggest a name brand braid or would no name brand off ebay do? 

Thanks

Edited by Foreversnagged

If I didn't have any braid laying around, I'd ask a few mates if they do before forking out your cash. Even just a few metres will be enough to get you started.

I usually shy away from the cheap, no name sort of tackle but this could be one situation where I'd make an exception. Just do your homework and make sure you get a 4 or 8 strand braid.

35 minutes ago, Green Hornet said:

If I didn't have any braid laying around, I'd ask a few mates if they do before forking out your cash. Even just a few metres will be enough to get you started.

I usually shy away from the cheap, no name sort of tackle but this could be one situation where I'd make an exception. Just do your homework and make sure you get a 4 or 8 strand braid.

Do you think colour matters or will anything do since I'll be using the skirts anyway? 

The replacement assist hooks used to be rather expensive. Now they are quite cheap. 

if you want a quick and affordable solution then pre-made assist hooks (pair) with rubber are available on e bay locally at $1.10-$1.50 each  if you buy 5-20 of them.

if you want the cheapest solution or  interested in  cheap DIY project then plenty of  braid in various color, strength, quality and confition can be picked up on the ground for free at most of large public fishing spots  e.g.  pier 2/3/whatever is still opened., Clifton Gardens etc on or after weekend.  One or few braid bird nests are enough for dozens of assist hook rigs. Good condition braid can be used for hook traces while damaged braid can be used for the skirts (it stays much longer than rubber).

13 hours ago, Ozzybass said:

I like adding assist hooks to my flathead blades but I just buy the ready made assist hooks, usually twin hooks.

They will mainly be for flathead I anticipate as that's all I seem to catch 😅. I also hate trebles so keen to give it a go. 

6 hours ago, savit said:

The replacement assist hooks used to be rather expensive. Now they are quite cheap. 

if you want a quick and affordable solution then pre-made assist hooks (pair) with rubber are available on e bay locally at $1.10-$1.50 each  if you buy 5-20 of them.

if you want the cheapest solution or  interested in  cheap DIY project then plenty of  braid in various color, strength, quality and confition can be picked up on the ground for free at most of large public fishing spots  e.g.  pier 2/3/whatever is still opened., Clifton Gardens etc on or after weekend.  One or few braid bird nests are enough for dozens of assist hook rigs. Good condition braid can be used for hook traces while damaged braid can be used for the skirts (it stays much longer than rubber).

I actually wanted to give DIY a go just for abit of fun. I'd prefer to get new braid just so I know what condition it's actually in.