The hunt for a beakie continues

GoingFishing

Have done 4 trips now for beakies off Sydney and havent turned  a reel except for a little dolly that got skull dragged for a while.

Yesterday trolled from sydney to waverider to bait station and then the peak and back to north head.

Found some bait with birds and dolphins working them. did laps for 3 hrs and didnt raise a fish or get a strike. 

Where are the fish???  Anyone having any luck?

Edited by GoingFishing

It hasn’t been a good season yet this year, even the port shoot out tournament had low numbers caught keep working the bait schools and watch the water temp and grapevine and with a bit of luck you will get on, heard of a wahoo and a couple of beakies caught the other week off broken bay & someone put up a report of yellowfin caught at the southern canyons

• Like 1

Charts indicate that a big "downwelling " is parked off Sydeny and has been for a while, usually this means dead water-we got a few micro dollies yesterday and heard a bit of chat about spearfish down at the Southern Canyon, there was lots of baitschools in the 50fathom  area north of the heads, plenmty of birds and a fair number of dolphins- but no fish

20 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

It hasn’t been a good season yet this year, even the port shoot out tournament had low numbers caught keep working the bait schools and watch the water temp and grapevine and with a bit of luck you will get on, heard of a wahoo and a couple of beakies caught the other week off broken bay & someone put up a report of yellowfin caught at the southern canyons

Thanks mate....when you say watch the water temp, what exactly should i be looking for? 

9 hours ago, fishin4life said:

we've done 8 trips since mid jan for 0's off sydney :(

Thats alot of burnt fuel....iv clocked 40 hours on the engine since January 21st. $$$$$

9 hours ago, PaddyT said:

Charts indicate that a big "downwelling " is parked off Sydeny and has been for a while, usually this means dead water-we got a few micro dollies yesterday and heard a bit of chat about spearfish down at the Southern Canyon, there was lots of baitschools in the 50fathom  area north of the heads, plenmty of birds and a fair number of dolphins- but no fish

Thanks for the heads up Paddy. Iv been reading up on altimetry...clorophyl etc. Wowza theres alot of layers there.

RE Altimetry.....whats your thoughts on how to fish upwellings....i read that its best to fish areas marked with "zero".....ie the middle ground where upwelling and downwellings meet...apparrntly this is where bait fish will congregate?

keep your head up.

I did 150 hours over Christmas and about 120 hours this year for 2 rat dollies. I have hooked a few fish but nothing has stuck.

Still better than sitting in front of this computer all day..

12 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks mate....when you say watch the water temp, what exactly should i be looking for? 

Thats alot of burnt fuel....iv clocked 40 hours on the engine since January 21st. $$$$$

Thanks for the heads up Paddy. Iv been reading up on altimetry...clorophyl etc. Wowza theres alot of layers there.

RE Altimetry.....whats your thoughts on how to fish upwellings....i read that its best to fish areas marked with "zero".....ie the middle ground where upwelling and downwellings meet...apparrntly this is where bait fish will congregate?

Read the tutorials on the wedpage- but go fishing- caught fish when conditions are meant to be crap and missed out when its meant to be great

Plenty down here in the south.

When you pull lures do you try to pull them side on to the sun as much as possible? this gives a much better view and contrast than heading into or directly away from the sun.

If you find bait, drop down a bait jig for a fresh slimey and drop it back down among them.479194915_ScreenShot2019-02-17at7_12_32pm.thumb.png.cc856cc6d2430a8fcc8e6a82e22bf7c2.png

From the weekend.

43 minutes ago, JonD said:

Plenty down here in the south.

When you pull lures do you try to pull them side on to the sun as much as possible? this gives a much better view and contrast than heading into or directly away from the sun.

If you find bait, drop down a bait jig for a fresh slimey and drop it back down among them.479194915_ScreenShot2019-02-17at7_12_32pm.thumb.png.cc856cc6d2430a8fcc8e6a82e22bf7c2.png

From the weekend.

Thanks for the tip jon.

Thats an awesome photo !!! Did you take it?

2 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

Thanks for the tip jon.

Thats an awesome photo !!! Did you take it?

No, it's one of my daughter's shots. She also has the inside cover shot of the current Bluewater game fishing magazine ( a jumping black marlin).

• Like 3

On 2/18/2019 at 9:31 PM, GoingFishing said:

With this southerly all week & part of next week the warmer water should move in closer and hopefully the fish with it

5 hours ago, 61 crusher said:

With this southerly all week & part of next week the warmer water should move in closer and hopefully the fish with it

By all accounts from my last couple of trips the warm water is within reach. I found 25 degrees near the bait station last week and the week before that 27.3 at browns. 

Its warm...but dead and lifeless!!!

3 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

By all accounts from my last couple of trips the warm water is within reach. I found 25 degrees near the bait station last week and the week before that 27.3 at browns. 

Its warm...but dead and lifeless!!!

That’s because there’s too much current. Bait fish won’t hold there! Hence the lack of marlin about! 

Normally this time of year, the “inshore program” is going off. The bait is definitely here but the currents are messed up and so is the water! 

When things settle down next week, we should see more action! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My daughter is working on a few different charter boats gaining her comercial hours towards her coxswain ticket, so much intel comes from that side of things. There's also quite a few other deckies on the course ( two nights per week ) so intel is passed among them. Also my daughter's social network contacts are mostly to do with fishing ( she's a contributor to Bluewater fishing and sponsored by different fishing companies  ) so the intel is often instant. She's just gone away for 10 days representing NSW doing the underwater hunting we don't mention 😉 so intel will just be from my contacts for the next week.

A friend filmed a few recently, you can learne heaps from seeing little clips like this, one is how seals work with marlin. 

Edited by JonD
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Scratchie said:

That’s because there’s too much current. Bait fish won’t hold there! Hence the lack of marlin about! 

Normally this time of year, the “inshore program” is going off. The bait is definitely here but the currents are messed up and so is the water! 

When things settle down next week, we should see more action! 

Yeah, I was talking to KLF Ken today. He said it was 27 the other day at the Port Stephens FAD and beyond but the current was racing along at 7 knots. These several days of southerlies should turn the water over and bring the warm water in close... fingers crossed!

On 2/21/2019 at 5:12 PM, JonD said:

My daughter is working on a few different charter boats gaining her comercial hours towards her coxswain ticket, so much intel comes from that side of things. There's also quite a few other deckies on the course ( two nights per week ) so intel is passed among them. Also my daughter's social network contacts are mostly to do with fishing ( she's a contributor to Bluewater fishing and sponsored by different fishing companies  ) so the intel is often instant. She's just gone away for 10 days representing NSW doing the underwater hunting we don't mention 😉 so intel will just be from my contacts for the next week.

A friend filmed a few recently, you can learne heaps from seeing little clips like this, one is how seals work with marlin. 

That is awesome footage! Never seen anything like it.... being tied to a desk working for the last few weeks and for the foreseeable future that gets me fizzing!

can just imagine how many hours of fruitless footage you have to film to capture situations like that!

cant wait for the water to settle down a bit and get amongst it!

thanks for sharing!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, GoingFishing said:

Once i scratch this itch i will retire from fishing (probably last a week max).  Cant wait to get out

Hopefully we get a good autumn run, don’t retire to quickly, you’ll probably get addicted if you hook up, find the bait balls and won’t have to travel to far (save on fuel)good luck & tight lines

Just now, 61 crusher said:

Hopefully we get a good autumn run, don’t retire to quickly, you’ll probably get addicted if you hook up, find the bait balls and won’t have to travel to far (save on fuel)good luck & tight lines

Are you be heading out this weekend?