Port hacking

Fab1

Late report but had to get the boat out before it grew roots last Tuesday morning. Hit grays solo  about 8am and headed out to give her a good squirt in the river.My main objective for the day was taking her out for a run and just relaxing without thinking about work and perhaps having a swim but still packed bait and berley.

I went into the swa and found a nice hole on the sounder with good bait showing in about 20m of water.I threw the anchor down then deployed the burly.

Two rods went out one with squid and one with salted tailor fillets.

I managed to catch a few fish(most undesized) but 2 legal whiting,some trevally and a nice bream plucked out from the rocky shore. 

I tried on this trevally that went back taking photos on my phone but i found it almost impossible with the other rod going off and crap on the floor of the boat.lol

Highlight of the day if you can call it that was hooking a rat and it breaking my reels drag on a squid strip losing it boatside.(It's a old cheap reel).

Ended up at bundeena swimming and just having a leisurely day out on the boat.

All fish returned to water to give Yowie a chance of catching a feed as i feel sorry he never catches anything.

The mexican photographed isn't me but is hiding from Trump.

Boat ran like a trouper since i resolved issues. 

Thanks for reading.

20190212_104741.jpg

Edited by Fab1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You finally catch some fish, then throw them back in.  :074:

Sounds like you had a good day out anyway. It is nice to have a relaxing day out and find a few fish. Need to spend a few dollars and buy another reel - some specials at the popular fishing stores at the moment. Good work there Fab.

Dave.

Edited by Yowie

1 hour ago, Yowie said:

You finally catch some fish, then throw them back in.  :074:

Sounds like you had a good day out anyway. It is nice to have a relaxing day out and find a few fish. Need to spend a few dollars and buy another reel - some specials at the popular fishing stores at the moment. Good work there Fab.

Dave.

Yeah,it's not the first time I've put them back.I think i have some spare reels in the trusty shed.

18 minutes ago, Welster said:

Nice to hear you are back on the water Fab.  Sounds like a good day on the water,  I would struggle to put those tasty whiting back.

They are a nice eating fish the whiting.I have to admit it did cross my mind to keep them and decided to let them go in the end.Maybe when the planets line up next time and i catch some i will keep a few.

I caught three whiting (all 27-28cm) on the flats on Saturday afternoon (all released).  I took photos of all of them, but they look the same anyway so attached just one.  There was a few undersize tharwine in between them.  I fished the run in tide with nippers, the bite went cold towards the last 90 mins of the run in (maybe the fish are spread too much by then)

The boat traffic has been crazy this summer.  Even on the weekend some of the wake from the big cruisers in the channel was causing waves to break on the flats

IMG_4507.jpg

Edited by mark_s

2 hours ago, mark_s said:

There was a few undersize tharwine in between them.  I fished the run in tide with nippers, the bite went cold towards the last 90 mins of the run in (maybe the fish are spread too much by then)

Port Hacking flats have many little Tarwhine swimming about. Legal size is 20cm but it is not easy finding one above that size.

I have also found when the current slows down near the top of the tide, the bite stops over the flats.

8 hours ago, AI fella said:

Great report , Hacking been a bit quite down my end (Maianbar) as its copped an absolute flogging over xmas and new year , good to see the SW arm has something left Cheers

I can imagine.Not my idea of fun going anywhere fishing at those times.

5 hours ago, frankS said:

Well done old mate, Me like others have said I think the Whiting would have come home with me, your choice and I commend you for your decision. But geeze it would be hard!!.

Frank

It's easy for me.I just plonk them over the side knowing I've given Yowie a chance to catch something the poor bugger. 😂😂He's a terrible fisherman and i get sick of seeing him come home emty handed.🙄

4 hours ago, mark_s said:

I caught three whiting (all 27-28cm) on the flats on Saturday afternoon (all released).  I took photos of all of them, but they look the same anyway so attached just one.  There was a few undersize tharwine in between them.  I fished the run in tide with nippers, the bite went cold towards the last 90 mins of the run in (maybe the fish are spread too much by then)

The boat traffic has been crazy this summer.  Even on the weekend some of the wake from the big cruisers in the channel was causing waves to break on the flats

IMG_4507.jpg

I can imagine it would have been.During the week days is great and at night for the above reasons.

2 hours ago, Sea Ranger said:

Great news to hear you are back on the water Fab

At least you caught one bigger than this

ag-cc2010-10.jpg

I don't know wheather to take that as a complement or a tease.😂I usually base my success on if i can catch something bigger than my prawn on the end of the line.lol.

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 11:20 PM, Fab1 said:

Highlight of the day if you can call it that was hooking a rat and it breaking my reels drag on a squid strip losing it boatside.(It's a old cheap reel).

Hey Fabian,

I read above that your cheapie reel broke - mate there is a clearance at the moment on Penn SSM spinning reels.... the older models.... $69 free delivery from DINGA (if you are a member).   I have 4 of the big 950 reels for offshore and bottom bashing... they are freaking indestructible... I don't know why they say they are not meant for braid... I run braid on them without any issues that I can see... have fought 5ft sharks etc and pulled up many flatties no issue at all. 

You'd probably consider the smaller 650 model for your work... but at $69 they are cheap and a quality item.  I think they are superseded models hence the clearout.....  but going back 10-15 years ago these were the ants pants saltwater must have reel and from memory were being sold for $300 plus way back then.

Cheers Z

https://www.dinga.com.au/penn-spinfisher-ssm-heavy-duty-saltwater-spinning-reels-840.html

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Hey Fabian,

I read above that your cheapie reel broke - mate there is a clearance at the moment on Penn SSM spinning reels.... the older models.... $69 free delivery from DINGA (if you are a member).   I have 4 of the big 950 reels for offshore and bottom bashing... they are freaking indestructible... I don't know why they say they are not meant for braid... I run braid on them without any issues that I can see... have fought 5ft sharks etc and pulled up many flatties no issue at all. 

You'd probably consider the smaller 650 model for your work... but at $69 they are cheap and a quality item.  I think they are superseded models hence the clearout.....  but going back 10-15 years ago these were the ants pants saltwater must have reel and from memory were being sold for $300 plus way back then.

Cheers Z

https://www.dinga.com.au/penn-spinfisher-ssm-heavy-duty-saltwater-spinning-reels-840.html

I can attest to the quality of those Penn SSM reels.  My January marlin tangle which lasted an hour was on a PENN 950, i had 50m of mono backing then spooled with 50lb braid followed by 50m of mono topshot.

Took it like a champ and is none the worse

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoingFishing said:

I can attest to the quality of those Penn SSM reels.  My January marlin tangle which lasted an hour was on a PENN 950

Marlin tangle ??? ...I'll have to go find the post another one I missed. 

Re 950, they look a bit dated, but they are solid and put out 7.5kg drag.  I'll run mine with the original washers for another few seasons then self upgrade then to carbontex ... I reckon I'll get closer to 10kg drag from them. 

Cheers Z

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zmk1962 said:

Marlin tangle ??? ...I'll have to go find the post another one I missed. 

Re 950, they look a bit dated, but they are solid and put out 7.5kg drag.  I'll run mine with the original washers for another few seasons then self upgrade then to carbontex ... I reckon I'll get closer to 10kg drag from them. 

Cheers Z

They really are great reels. I use them for bottom bashing too but admittedly in the smaller size than the 950. 

the 650 size is better suited for bottom bashing deep water in my opinion and in shallower water i use even smaller