weekend overnighter

dirvin21

Me and Amy managed a kidfree weekend so what better way to spend it than camping and fishing. We started by heading up into the Nymboi-binderay national park out to cod hole campground on the Nymboida river. I had heard the river was at an all time low and barely flowing so we were pleasantly surprised to find it looking pretty good only slightly down on what it normally is.

We wasted no time getting to the water and starting to cast........... and cast............. and cast some more! The fish decided they were going to play haed to get.

We ept persisting and finally I hear Amy call out so I go running over (giving myself a fine ankle bruise in the process) to find her with her first cod. 

P1000306.thumb.JPG.f8f051f6064240c066b1ebef2660d684.JPG

A beautiful fish, quickly released, leaving Amy 1 up and bragging rights were claimed

Over the afternoon and next morning we saw loads of fish but no action, apart from me getting busted off thanks to my line just snapping which about summed up my Nymboida leg of the trip and solemly swear I'll never buy Daiwa J-braid again and thanks to a backlash from the lure catching a branch on the cast I've replaced it.

So with severly wounded pride I drove out of the Nymboida to our trout spot. The creek was a bit low but still looking awesome as ever

P1000314.JPG.b872c256e06fd3b26925aa7c8c0aa588.JPG

Didn't take long to find some trout, they were aggressive chasing and hitting the lures it was just a bit difficult getting the hooks to stay in. After several thrown hooks and my patience wearing a little thin finally a fish stayed on and out came nice rainbow.

P1000311.JPG.3cb11fc46014cc118276f8e471132c11.JPG 

never felt so relieved to land a fish

Woring along the creek we kept casting with plenty of hits and follows but the low water making it difficult. Then with a little back cast into a pool out comes a little brown

P1000312.JPG.2818b26bc581587393155be86c7697a9.JPG

continuing upstream Amy was having a tough session so to cheer her up a bit, I say to her watch this, and call out "Hail Mary" and lauching a cast as far as I can up the creek into a bunch of small pools. The cast landed in a tiny pool and was instantly nailed by a quality brown, the fish cartwheeled over shallow and almost dry rocks staying connected 

P1000318.JPG.d50b3555aaba4c22d9be1db872888b9f.JPG

still can't believe I pulled it off it's certainly won me some bragging rights.

Amy's tough luck continued the fish just wouldn't stay connected for her including some really solid fish but to her credit she kept casting

P1000320.JPG.c39d0a116592115d825612cd4cca9f4b.JPG

to add to her frustrations I put a cast in a run after she had puy atleast 10 in it and pulled out a rainbow

P1000322.JPG.11b59f0f4586d8a4a4847ad1c48be909.JPG

Amy being the determined fisho she is kept casting and casting with the property boundary getting close she finally  had a fish stay connected despite it jumping over and over 

P1000325.JPG.4158f54fa8cdc448eea67f3774b56a27.JPG

A nice rainbow to finish the trip, 

the fishing was tough but I reckon it's the tough days that make you appreciate catching a fish, hopefully some rain in the near future will improve the fishing 

cheers for reading 

Dave

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Top report champ! 

What a great weekend on two counts! Firstly no kids! Agh heaven! 😝

Secondly, fishing along that beautiful river and scenery with the mrs! Awesome! 

Well done to you both on some hard earned fish! 

Cheers scratchie!!! 

• Like 2

Hey Dave thanks for the report. Hard going but a weekend away trying to entice them to bite is always worthwhile. Sharing with your partner is even better. Good on Amy for being persistent and reaping the rewards for her efforts. Lovely pictures as usual Dave, we certainly get to see some wonderful scenery in pursuit of our hobby. Top report, bn

• Like 1