Wanda beach 16-17/2/19

wchh

Fished Wanda beach last weekends two days in a row in the late evening to early night session.

Saturday saw the beach really packed owing to the good weather. I started about 6pm and persisted till 9:30 wanting to finish off all the 12 pilchards I took for the session. All up I caught 15 fish, with the largest fish a nice flathead, the second last fish I caught.

Knowing I need to go to work today, I planned only a short session yesterday, taking 6 baits with me. Got there about 7pm and left when it got dark, fished for about 1.5 hours. The bite was not consistent as on Saturday, only managed two tailor.

C2D1A63C-A035-44C0-8CA8-365AA59D9432.png

62D24705-3A9D-4128-8F15-65BCD35BE442.png

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Yowie said:

There have been large schools of white bait cruising the shallows off the beaches for the last couple of months. The tailor are not big ones, but a good eating size.

I will agee with you on this one Yowie that tailor of this size is the best eating size! As to the white baits, yes, they are clearly visible from the shore!  

Charles

7 hours ago, masterfisho7 said:

The flathead good eating all up well dome 

Most flathead I caught off the beach are blue spotted, this one is actually a common dusky one. I did not get to taste this fish, it was taken by a cousin!

• 10 months later...

Just curious if you use the standard paternoster rig or a running ball to swivel to hook?

ive fished a few times of wanda and generally hate beach fishing but at times it’s the only option to wet a line when it’s too dangerous for the rocks.

It is sort of modified paternoster rig. To make it quicker to change sinker and hooks, I tie a snap swivel to the end of main line. The sinker is tied to onto a swivel with a leader of about 15 cm long. The the leader (about 60 cm) for the hooks is also tied on a swivel. I will take a photo to share when I have time.

Here is the photo.

I normally fish 12-20 pound mainly line during day time, but will change to 30 pounds if I do a night session. For leader, I use 40 pound but if I know there was tailor around, I will add another section of 80 pound leader as shown in the photo. Hook size is normally from 2 to 2/0, but will use 4/0-6/0 if I target jew fish during night time using fillet bait. Sinker is 4 oz snapper sinker which has less dragging resistance than star sinkers.

Hope you find this helpful.

Charles

22D80D07-8F0F-4478-A138-AE30D995EAFC.jpeg

• Thanks 1