Customize Boat Catch Release

Chilltime

Hi Raiders 

I’ve currently have fitted a boat catch to my HH 675 enclosed and Im having a stone guard added to the trailer. I was told by my a mate that he’s heard of boaters fitting a permanently fixed SS wire from the Catch lever to the trailer in an accessible position for release with a gaf rather than a removable rope. 

My question is has anyone here gone down this path but in particular rigged a permanently wired system to the SS stone guard frame to be accessed from the steering wheel. 

Would also be interested to hear about any other form of permanently fixed release system from the boat catch to the trailer frame.

Cheers 

Hi chilltime...have you seen how the barcrushers bar catch works ??you have an oky strap that has 2 positions,one for putting boat on and the other for boat off.to get the boat off all you do is drive the boat forward,the catch releases itself.i have a vague idea how other catches work,maybee you could spring load it with an oky or spring similar to the bar catch and just drive the boat forward so it releases itself so you haven’t got some sort of complicated contraption.some body has to bring the car back and forth to the ramp,so all the have to do is set the catch.

what do you think of your hains 675 enclosed ??? I’m hoping to have one myself this year.

I make a spring loaded release catch ( stainless ) that holds the boat in position while you warm boat motor and then when ready just engage forward gear nudge forward 2 inches which releases catch and you select reverse and back off the trailer, when retrieving boat set the catch in catch mode and simply drive boat all the way up to where the catch springs up and holds boat firmly in place till you switch motor off tilt up etc then depart from boat, secure safety chain and drive car and trailer from ramp before securing boat with tie downs etc.

Cost me about $20 to make. Don't look as pretty as the $ 600-800 jobs you can buy but works every bit as good.

Frank

• Like 3

Will take some photos tomorrow, sorry not allowed to take orders on here. I tried to become a sponsor of the site but wasn't allowed, no A B N number, which is understandable.

There are a couple of things that must be applied to, firstly you must have a anchor point, namely a hand winch ( most trailers have this )  , and your tow point on the boat needs to be altered to accommodate the catch.

Frank

Here's some photos that may explain how my catch works.

When you get to the ramp and ready to launch the catch is in this position

catch.thumb.jpg.fe8226049d6855985b711e25ae216b17.jpg

Release safety chain and winch strap and alloy boat to slide back so the caught/secure position

1318005128_catch1.thumb.jpg.4ef5dd5c836f8118193acce0fb1d5cb5.jpg

You will notice the boat has come off the bow roller about 70mm and held in place with catch, now take off spring and let just dangle.

Now get in boat start motor warm up and put in forward gear with a few revs, the boat will move forward and the catch will fall away from it's locked position and lay limp.

Try again.1393179439_catchrelaxed.thumb.jpg.b293810033c8c5b2b5200161197ca23f.jpg

sorry winch strap still attached in photo, please disregard this as it's on trailer for these photos.

Now boat is ready to drive off.

When you return and want to put boat back on trailer, attach spring and the square piece of catch will be in upright position as in photo 1. Now drive boat on trailer and as you get close the spring allows the catch to slide down the bow holder ( want of better word ) till you hear a loud click which is the square piece of catch hitting home in full upright position.

catch3.thumb.jpg.c1ab385504a59735007959e3bc3c9c06.jpg

catch5.thumb.jpg.54e655a0abc117fce44023991f3a9504.jpg

catch6.thumb.jpg.aa2827700b3ba16174d61169d369d3f3.jpg

You can now back off throttle and allow boat to slide back a couple of inches and catch securely and turn off motor tilt up and get out of boat . Put winch strap on and winch up last couple of inches and secure safety chain.

I might add that this catch also acts as a back up safety chain IF for some reason your chain comes loose.

Hope this explains it to those interested. And I am open to PM's for any questions or enquiries.

Frank

• Like 2

I have been asked what happens if the boat misses the catch. Well I might add that this devise is suitable only for boats that can be driven onto the trailer in which case the trailer should centre the boat all the way up to the winch post. The catch is actually wider than the post roller so if you miss the catch you are going to miss the winch roller and possibly end up in the back of your car.

Frank

19 hours ago, frankS said:

Try again.1393179439_catchrelaxed.thumb.jpg.b293810033c8c5b2b5200161197ca23f.jpg

sorry winch strap still attached in photo, please disregard this as it's on trailer for these photos.

Now boat is ready to drive off.

When you return and want to put boat back on trailer, attach spring and the square piece of catch will be in upright position as in photo 1. Now drive boat on trailer and as you get close the spring allows the catch to slide down the bow holder ( want of better word ) till you hear a loud click which is the square piece of catch hitting home in full upright position.

catch3.thumb.jpg.c1ab385504a59735007959e3bc3c9c06.jpg

catch5.thumb.jpg.54e655a0abc117fce44023991f3a9504.jpg

catch6.thumb.jpg.aa2827700b3ba16174d61169d369d3f3.jpg

You can now back off throttle and allow boat to slide back a couple of inches and catch securely and turn off motor tilt up and get out of boat . Put winch strap on and winch up last couple of inches and secure safety chain.

I might add that this catch also acts as a back up safety chain IF for some reason your chain comes loose.

Hope this explains it to those interested. And I am open to PM's for any questions or enquiries.

Frank

Great work Frank.   Thanks for taking the time to take the photos and post it.

• Like 2

I might add that I started making these catches way back in 1997 long before they became available on the market, and back then not too many people were driving their boats onto trailers, most were winched up. In fact the one in photos has been on about 5-6 of my last trailers and different boats. I make different ( new ) bow hooks for each boat. Some differences made these days but exactly same principle .

And apologies to Chilltime for taking over your topic but you did ask to see any other versions, sort of.

Frank

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mmg said:

I recon its awsome!

what kind of spring did you use?

On my one I just use a steel one from Bunnings about $3 and they last a couple to 3 years and take about 2 minutes to change, so I don't bother with stainless . The spring is the only part that is not stainless, and I spose there are stainless steel ones available but I have never bothered to look. They are just a double eye spring about 4 inches long and 3/8 round OR metric equivalent .

Frank