Most stress free company to do boat licence

smc2010

As the title says I'm looking for most stress free easiest way to do my boat licence. There are endless companies online offering this and that what is the easiest way raiders? Thanks in advance for any help. 

Kind regards 

sean 

There's not a lot of stress involved, get the free book from the RMS or read the rules online, most clubs do a license course now and then too, as do some rescue organisations, be fully conversant with the rules, it's not that hard to learn the rules and sit for the license test at the RMS office.

9 minutes ago, noelm said:

There's not a lot of stress involved, get the free book from the RMS or read the rules online, most clubs do a license course now and then too, as do some rescue organisations, be fully conversant with the rules, it's not that hard to learn the rules and sit for the license test at the RMS office.

Thank you Noel I just wanted to know which company is best with least amount of bells and whistles so I can get it done and out of the way, so you recommend rms? Il go to there website do and book it 

Edited by smc2010

Didn't do mine through any company, for memory I had to fill in a log & get it signed off so a mate helped me there with the practical on his tinny.

As to the knowledge test well I read the book once then did this quiz over & over & over till I got 100% a few times in a row.

http://www.boatingquiz.com.au/index.php/general-boating-knowledge-quiz/

I actually still do the quiz every now & then as a refresher!

Edited by kingie chaser

Hey Sean

You will find most of the private operators to be the same...one day course which goes for circa 6 hours and 2 hrs of that are on the water. I did mine at a place in the sutherland shire. Cant remember its name but they were very good.

As a side note....if your new to boating it is important that you learn the rules and general boating safety from these courses. Could save your life.

Theyre not a waste of time and exist for a reason.

Edited by GoingFishing

14 minutes ago, kingie chaser said:

Didn't do mine through any company, for memory I had to fill in a log & get it signed off so a mate helped me there with the practical on his tinny.

As to the knowledge test well I read the book once then did this quiz over & over & over till I got 100% a few times in a row.

http://www.boatingquiz.com.au/index.php/general-boating-knowledge-quiz/

I actually still do the quiz every now & then as a refresher!

Cheers kingie chaser 

It's probably a good idea to do the questions now and then, remember a piece of paper (license) does not mean you know what you are doing in a boat, so take care out there, and no piece of electronic gadgetry can replace a good set of eyes and a thinking brain!

• Like 1

Back in the day when I got my licence there was no water test, Think for memory I got mine at a fishing/camping show in Penrith, just filled in the questionnaire and licence issued on the spot. A few years later a mate had to go into town and sit a test with a board with waterways images and he had to navigate a toy boat around the coarse as well as answer all the questions, think then you could get 3 wrong, which makes me think that IF you get 3 wrong you don't really know what you are doing ?.

Anyhow this doesn't help you decide which way to go at this present time and I'm afraid I can't help you in that way.

How's the new boat, send some photos via email.

Frank

My son did his with the "alphabetical " company- i operated on the theory that he didnt need to learn habits off me!! They were fine and local , i got my boat license before my car license - i was only just 16 I think- we used to have access to a holiday house on pittwater and I used to spend the whole time I was there tearing up and down Pittwater and out to sea in a 12ft tinny with a 15hp Evinrude- then one day i got pulled over by one of the old "Maritime" inspectors. the conversation went like this--"G'day- those rego numbers are a bit faded" - ahh yeah- "do you have a boat license"-ahh no-"Ok its school holidays- I am the Brooklyn Office next Wednesday- ill book you in for your exam"-ahh OK- See you at 10 next Wednesday. And I did- I went to the Brooklyn Maritime office and he talked me through my test-cant imagine that happening today, probably be fined , boat impounded- etc, etc.

• Like 1

My Wife just went through this, there is a couple of ways,

Option 1>

Read the book or watch the Dvd $18 I think

DO the online quiz until you get 100% a few times

Have a friend with a boat Lic take you out 3 or more times and you do the pre start boat safety checks and then listen to your mate on navigating and docking, have a drive at low speed your self. Complete the log book with Dates and times.

Book in at the RMS and pay the $50 to do the test

Pay for a 3yr Lic

Option 2>

Book into one of the on water only courses and have then teach you the boat pre start safety and teach you navigating and driving. They will complete a log book for you. Cost $ not sure but well worth it

Book yourself into the RMS $50 do the test

Pay for Lic

Option 3

Days or weeks before, Read the book & Do the online quiz multiple times, will help take any stress away

Book into a full course 6hrs Study and test all on the same day

On Water course to complete safety Pre Start and Navigation log book

Head to the RMS with your Certificate and log book and pay for 3 yrs Lic.

If you haven't been around boats much I think Option 3 is the best or Option 2,  its all good and well to do Option 1 but when you have a boat full of mates or kids and there is other boats around, Wind picks up and the swell rises, nothing is more stressful than trying to navigate, drive, watch out for others and try and keep everyone  safe and happy.

Even now sometimes when it gets rough I still have to ask the kids and family members to sit down and be quiet just for a few minutes while I navigate through the harbour. It Gets like a washing machine in there some days.

3 hours ago, frankS said:

Back in the day when I got my licence there was no water test, Think for memory I got mine at a fishing/camping show in Penrith, just filled in the questionnaire and licence issued on the spot. A few years later a mate had to go into town and sit a test with a board with waterways images and he had to navigate a toy boat around the coarse as well as answer all the questions, think then you could get 3 wrong, which makes me think that IF you get 3 wrong you don't really know what you are doing ?.

Anyhow this doesn't help you decide which way to go at this present time and I'm afraid I can't help you in that way.

Frank

Cheers frank Ye I have it stored in a mates yard for a bit I need to get a sparky to just check some wiring after that she's good to go it's an old boat but for a first one I'm sure it will do all I want engine is fairly new and very clean so all in all I think I got a bargin 

IMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2189.JPG

1 hour ago, jeffb5.8 said:

My Wife just went through this, there is a couple of ways,

Option 1>

Have a friend with a boat Lic take you out 3 or more times and you do the pre start boat safety checks and then listen to your mate on navigating and docking, have a drive at low speed your self. Complete the log book with Dates and times.

Book in at the RMS and pay the $50 to do the test

Pay for a 3yr Lic

Option 2>

Book into one of the on water only courses and have then teach you the boat pre start safety and teach you navigating and driving. They will complete a log book for you. Cost $ not sure but well worth it

Book yourself into the RMS $50 do the test

Pay for Lic

Option 3

Days or weeks before, Read the book & Do the online quiz multiple times, will help take any stress away

Book into a full course 6hrs Study and test all on the same day

On Water course to complete safety Pre Start and Navigation log book

Head to the RMS with your Certificate and log book and pay for 3 yrs Lic.

If you haven't been around boats much I think Option 3 is the best or Option 2,  its all good and well to do Option 1 but when you have a boat full of mates or kids and there is other boats around, Wind picks up and the swell rises, nothing is more stressful than trying to navigate, drive, watch out for others and try and keep everyone  safe and happy.

Even now sometimes when it gets rough I still have to ask the kids and family members to sit down and be quiet just for a few minutes while I navigate through the harbour. It Gets like a washing machine in there some days.

Cheers Jeff il probably take option three as I would like get it all done in one day no f*%kin about. I have lots off experience from home in boats but that was on lakes where swell was not and issue so I'm pretty much starting from scratch again,

regards 

sean 

13 hours ago, frankS said:

Frank

I got to play boats too.   

3 hours ago, P_Konrad said:

G'day SMC2010, I got my License last Saturday on the 16th of Feb. I did it with a company as I have no one to get on a boat with close by. It was around $250-280 + $30 (concession) at RMS for the license. They are all in that price bracket. I studied the boating-handbook for about 2 weeks and learnt most of it off by heart. It paid at test time 50/50 questions. Perfect score. Learn the book and you won't have to return after a fail. Treat it like the road mate, slow and steady. I havent had a serious accident on the road since I was a kid and don't want one on the water either. ✔ 👍

Regards and good luck. PK

Cheers Pk