Bottom Bouncing Strategies

fragmeister

3 hours ago, Berleyguts said:

Instead of a snapper lead on the bottom, I use a Shimano Bottom Ship Jig (or similar) in weights from about 40g up to 120g, depending on the depth and the drift speed. I general drift for blue spot flathead in 35-45m or so. About 45cm above that, I run my first dropper and 30-45 above that, I run my second dropper. My droppers are usually 30-40cm long. I tie single strand droppers at home (I still have to go to YouTube to remember how to do it!) but if I have to rerig at sea, I usually just tie a standard dropper loop. However, sometimes I cut the loop so it’s single strand. I use 30lb or 40lb Vanish fluorocarbon leader and droppers and 20 or 30lb J Braid mainline. I frequently get triple hookups or if I feel I’ve been baited, I often get a hit on the jig on the way up. I generally use strips of slimy mackerel on both hooks but sometimes I mix up the baits and sometimes I use a plastic squid on the top hook.

Great suggestion. I have often used a jig in place of the lower hook on the paternoster but I haven't thought of replacing the snapper lead with a weighty jig.

Cheers

Jim

2 hours ago, fragmeister said:

Great suggestion. I have often used a jig in place of the lower hook on the paternoster but I haven't thought of replacing the snapper lead with a weighty jig.

Cheers

Jim

It’s good for drifting for flathead on sand but if you hit reef and get hung up, it can be costly!

I was out last thursday and after loosing a fully loaded 3 hook sabiki to old braid went baitless. For a change  I used a single hook paternoster rig with a worm hook and various plastics 5" shads and sqidgy curly tails and paddle tail minnows. On the other rod standard jug head with same plastics. The fist rig left in the rod holder  out fished the other rig 5 to 1  to my surprise even got 6" flatheads on 5" lures lol  annoying. But I am going to try that again! Kept a few 45cm models for dinner. I am also going to try heavier jigheads and maybe  a Californian worm hook rig with a running sinker.

Edited by blaxland
  • Like 1

When it comes to rig my vote is for paternoster fishing outside and running sinker in the harbour.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, GoingFishing said:

1. Location

2. Drift Speed

3. Drift Direction ( in relation to seabed structure)

4. Bait Type/Bait Presentation

5. Hook Size

6. Rig Type or Setup

One more I would add is the season, fish the spicies that's biting. At the moment loads of kings are around the entrance of harbour, mostly rats (for fun), and a few keepers in between.

Edited by MerryFisher
  • Like 1

@Berleyguts , a few questions:

Where do you connect Inchiku type jigs( Shimano Bottomship) - tail or elsewhere?

Did you try other type of jigs as ” a sinker”?

How far from the bottom do you drop/hold the sinker-jig?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, savit said:

@Berleyguts , a few questions:

Where do you connect Inchiku type jigs( Shimano Bottomship) - tail or elsewhere?

Did you try other type of jigs as ” a sinker”?

How far from the bottom do you drop/hold the sinker-jig?

Thanks.

I just loop the loop through the thin end like a snapper lead. I just let it hit the sand and drift along letting it rise and fall with the boat over the swell. There are other brands beside the Shimano Bottom Ship jigs and they seem to work the same way. I just buy them when I see them on special. Apparently, you can work them slowly, too. Here’s a photo of a few. The blue one on the right is a different shape (about $10 at KMart). It seems to catch fish on the bottom but I think the others have a different “flutter”, which might be why they sometimes get hit on the drop. I can’t recall that happening with the blue one. The 2nd photo shows a triple hook up in March last year. You can see the bottom ship jig near the middle flathead.

D88EB99F-2738-4D42-96D7-7D9A2351923D.jpeg

2FF7C84A-41AF-44A5-A4A9-5B679D3F9EF6.jpeg

Edited by Berleyguts
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Berleyguts said:

I just loop the loop through the thin end like a snapper lead. I just let it hit the sand and drift along letting it rise and fall with the boat over the swell. There are other brands beside the Shimano Bottom Ship jigs and they seem to work the same way. I just buy them when I see them on special. Apparently, you can work them slowly, too. Here’s a photo of a few. The blue one on the right is a different shape (about $10 at KMart). It seems to catch fish on the bottom but I think the others have a different “flutter”, which might be why they sometimes get hit on the drop. I can’t recall that happening with the blue one. The 2nd photo shows a triple hook up in March last year. You can see the bottom ship jig near the middle flathead.

D88EB99F-2738-4D42-96D7-7D9A2351923D.jpeg

2FF7C84A-41AF-44A5-A4A9-5B679D3F9EF6.jpeg

3 decent flatties all at once. That would have put a nice bend in the rod. Those flatties can be ravenous at times.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, savit said:

@Berleyguts , awesome flathead "sabiki" 😁.

Did you try Shimano Lucanus jigs or similar design -  for the this purpose?

Screenshot_2019-03-06-19-00-53.jpg

No, although the KMart jig looks like it has a similar profile to those. 😎 I was recommended the Bottom Ship jigs and went with that. I really just drop them to the bottom and let them drift along behind the boat. I guess if you were fishing over reef and you knew the depth, you could set the jig a metre or so above bottom.

On 2/19/2019 at 6:18 PM, GoingFishing said:

Cheers mate ! Happy to share.

Touching on #1 on the list. It pays to trial and error spots to locate reef and structure. Once you have this information you can decide how to fish it based on the prevailing conditions.

For example in the image below:

Dark blue....drift in a true north or south wind blowing.

Red. Drift in a east or west wind blowing

Light blue.....fish in north east or south west wind blowing.

I find the patches between different reefs the best as they function as a "fish highway".

Screenshot_20190219-181253_Photo Editor.jpg

can you send me these charts I had them once but lost them now I think I will be able to use them

1 hour ago, blaxland said:

can you send me these charts I had them once but lost them now I think I will be able to use them

Yes you did have them i remember sending them to you 🤣🤣 !!! Il need to load them up onto a dropbox again mate. Pm me ur email plz

Edited by GoingFishing

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:27 PM, Berleyguts said:

I just loop the loop through the thin end like a snapper lead

Well, I'm convinced! Bought one of those jigs on friday. Yesterday I used it on the bottom of my paternoster rig. I've never had success on the paternoster rig before, but yesterday, the flatties were onto it all day. Never hooked up on the jig, but there was definitely more interested in the first baited hook. Don't think i'll ever use a snapper lead again. I went back this morning to grab a few more while they're on special

20190310_110529.thumb.jpg.980dc24ac23bb94ee5b10c51b809fe9e.jpg20190310_122605.thumb.jpg.5b71c16f5175ddbac9e56f9960e48db8.jpg

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, seasponge said:

Well, I'm convinced! Bought one of those jigs on friday. Yesterday I used it on the bottom of my paternoster rig. I've never had success on the paternoster rig before, but yesterday, the flatties were onto it all day. Never hooked up on the jig, but there was definitely more interested in the first baited hook. Don't think i'll ever use a snapper lead again. I went back this morning to grab a few more while they're on special

20190310_110529.thumb.jpg.980dc24ac23bb94ee5b10c51b809fe9e.jpg20190310_122605.thumb.jpg.5b71c16f5175ddbac9e56f9960e48db8.jpg

Awesome work !!!

3 hours ago, seasponge said:

Great stuff! They have a nice flutter to them, don’t they? Wait until you see a flathead follow it up and hit it near the boat! 😉

Still catching up on posts that I missed while away ... this one was one of my favourites (btw I know I can Follow a post, but is there any way to mark a post as "Favourite" ... so that its easy to come back to?) 

Thanks to all the raiders that contributed - I have learnt a lot reading through different insights.  When I read it earlier in the week, and being DIY type I was inspired enough to have a go at making a simple jig that I can attach to a snapper lead at the bottom of my paternoster. Here's what I've come up with: 

image.png.e0ab4d16d745fb5b7fa80a3765f535c3.png

Now for the rain to stop so that I can go and test it !

Cheers Zoran

PS - I've posted a few more shots in the workshop section.

• Like 3

For bottom bashing I use standard paternoster with ball sinker on the bottom and hooks about 200-300mm apart.  Tie an overhand knot after the ball sinker so if it gets caught on rocks you pull hard enough you only lose the sinker and not the whole rig. (thanks ryan moody for that tip)

Definitely have the sinker on the bottom for fishing shoals and rocky areas.  Running sinker style setup for sand or muddy bottoms.

Edited by Fishop

Hi

I use a three hook paternoster rig. I use pilchards for bait and I put a glow bead on the line that the hook is on. My rig is pretty short, maybe 70 cm all up. I have very heavy sinkers and very flexible rods that help keep the line on the bottom. I fish in 50 metres of water. I'll sometimes put a blue/while gulp bait on one of the hooks and that seems to catch the larger fish. 

I've also tried a pre-rigged line that had little plastic squid on it and that was reasonably successful, although the hooks didn't seem to set as well as my own build ones.

I've also noticed that if you are drifting too fast, then you don't catch as much.

5 hours ago, antonywardle said:

Yes, I have one of them, but not yet tried it in my new boat. 

For me in my boat if the breeze is over 5 knots the sea anchor is a must.....anything less than 5 knots and my drift speed is ok.

Trial how your sea anchor effects your drift as every boat is different 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GoingFishing said:

For me in my boat if the breeze is over 5 knots the sea anchor is a must.....anything less than 5 knots and my drift speed is ok.

Trial how your sea anchor effects your drift as every boat is different 

I've used sea anchors previously as well. My hull and large canopy area require me to use the "larger" sea anchor - they work to help slow drift but I found they get in the way a lot as well. 

I've posted on this previously, I now drop an anchor (as have a drum anchor winch installed) and swing on the anchor rode - when the bite stops, we pull up the anchor 3-4meters drift a bit and drop the pick again. Drift'n'drop is what I call it. This  allows us to use the lightest sinkers for the current. 

Cheers Zoran

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, zmk1962 said:

I've used sea anchors previously as well. My hull and large canopy area require me to use the "larger" sea anchor - they work to help slow drift but I found they get in the way a lot as well. 

I've posted on this previously, I now drop an anchor (as have a drum anchor winch installed) and swing on the anchor rode - when the bite stops, we pull up the anchor 3-4meters drift a bit and drop the pick again. Drift'n'drop is what I call it. This  allows us to use the lightest sinkers for the current. 

Cheers Zoran

I do recall your post. Very practical ....unfortunately the bank is yet authorise such expenditure 😞😞.....she says...cough. .sorry...the bank says there are more important things to save up for such as my daughters private schooling needs next year.  

Notwithstanding i really do enjoy drifting and covering more ground.

• Like 1