Lake Lyell, Lithgow

mammoth64

Hi all, I am planning a trip up to Lithgow with my young son (11 y/o) and hoping to put the boat in but I haven't really done a lot of fresh water fishing except for the odd trip fishing for carp with corn, I was wondering if anyone could pass on a few tips and advice as to what to use as bait in the Lake system, I am guessing corn, maybe worms if I can find them but after that I'm not to sure. Would a dough mix work maybe.

Cheers all

Greg

Hi Greg,

Worms will definitely work but the most effective bait that I’ve used for trout over there would have to be powerbait. I’ve had a lot of success in the past using the rainbow coloured one. Simple running sinker rig is all you need. 

I was over there a couple of weeks ago redfin were in plague proportions. Mainly small but there are bigger ones mixed in with them  just target over the weed beds or on the outside edge of the weed. Bigger fish tended to come from timber amongst weed. Also a chance of a bass fishing like this especially early morning or late afternoon. 3inch soft plastics and mask vibes is what most fish were caught on. 

Keep an eye out for cruising trout if fishing early. This time of year the trout will be sitting deeper around the thermocline as the sun gets up. 

Good luck.

Cheers Trav

I have no experience of this particular water Greg but to add to the sound advice given by Trav. If bait fishing, everything in there will take garden worms or scrub worms. If you wish to target Carp (assuming they are in there) then corn or bread work very well. I usually take 2 slices of bread, wet 1 and blend it with the dry one (in your hands) to form a slightly moist lump. Take a chunk off the lump and hide the hook inside the bait, run a sinker down to about 30 cms from the hook. Carp love it. Good luck. bn