Maianbar Port Hacking questions.

Ryder

Hi Raiders,

Last year I found a an old Butterworth which I had rebuilt.  Labelled 'Estuary', I gave it to my nephew for Christmas. It worked well on Blackfish last weekend and we are looking for other species options.

He lives in the shire, I was thinking about pumping some yabbies and going for Whiting or Bream at Maianbar. I haven't been down there before, any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

I pump the nippers and fish from about half tide up on the flats. You can drift in a boat or wade about until the water becomes too high. I have seen the old bloke in the rowboat, he will strip off his clothes and pump nippers  up to waist height in water.  :o

If the tide is a bit low, you can still pump some nippers and fish along the edge of the sand flats until the tide starts to rise a bit further.

Fishing can be a bit slow at times, but have caught whiting, bream, flatties, occasional flounder and the odd other fish at times - garfish, long tom, blackfish, tailor, pesky rays and even eagle rays, though on light gear expect to be spooled by an eagle a metre or more across the wings.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys,

Headed out yesterday with my nephew, plenty of nippers on the flats. We fished the western drop offs for small snapper and whiting, then headed up Cabbage Tree out of the wind where we got legal bream and big whiting near the bridge. Next time might try further up towards the basin.

Is there an easier way in than walking the creek?